New rig for coolcat :)

Now, this board looks way to cheap to be good...and i am willing to pay more... but i heard someone used it to get the 2.66 conroe to do 3.8. ASUS P5B-E

It dose lack crossfire or SLI...but if i do get the e6700 then i want a nice setup for it. Honestly i can not imagine the need for multiple video cards ... (i was using a TNT until 2005 ... lol) I think that i will have in the range of 800-1600 for this build...(my stuff will sell :) )

So, should i get this or can anyone tell me of a board with good OCing (3-4 GHz out of the e6700) that also has fancy features?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can look at basically any of the evga boards if you're looking for a good overclocker with plenty of features. There's a couple good boards in this topic. Go with the e6600 instead of the e6700. It's cheaper and it'll still be able to overclock amazingly.

You can look at basically any of the evga boards if you're looking for a good overclocker with plenty of features. There's a couple good boards in this topic. Go with the e6600 instead of the e6700. It's cheaper and it'll still be able to overclock amazingly.

Yeah - looked at the thread... saw the horrible newegg reviews... and i don't want to spend that much... and please, let me pick my CPU...at least for bragging rights :lol:

Yeah - looked at the thread... saw the horrible newegg reviews... and i don't want to spend that much... and please, let me pick my CPU...at least for bragging rights :lol:

Don't ever trust newegg reviews. EVER. And if you want to be able to brag even at stock speed, get yourself one of these beasts. Link

If you're really going to waste 70 bucks just so you can brag about the model number, that's 70 bucks wasted for no reason other than to inflate ones ego...but I'd do it to :D

Don't ever trust newegg reviews. EVER. And if you want to be able to brag even at stock speed, get yourself one of these beasts. Link

If you're really going to waste 70 bucks just so you can brag about the model number, that's 70 bucks wasted for no reason other than to inflate ones ego...but I'd do it to :D

The beast may be purchased in a rig of mine if i raise 1600+ ... just... i could benefit from quad... smp folding... and 2 cores left for smp games... and 70 bucks saved... i will have to see the max OC speeds...

Guest ecthlipsis

Intel is having another price cut very soon. Look it up. Quadcore is going to be about the price of the E6600. Just wait.

And please never say anything regarding NewEgg reviews again... haha. Those are great for a laugh, nothing more. Half of those people don't even have the product, another 40% give it a 1 if they think it's too expensive, the other 9% are just plain stupid. <1% has any substance or worth.

Maybe 2x this? Xeon - Make a server into a gaming rig?

Those Xeons are socket 771, not 775. You know that, right?

If you're looking for a great OC board for cheap and you don't necessarily need SLI/CF, the answer is the Gigabyte 965P-S3. Hands down.

Those Xeons are socket 771, not 775. You know that, right?

If you're looking for a great OC board for cheap and you don't necessarily need SLI/CF, the answer is the Gigabyte 965P-S3. Hands down.

Ok,yea knew socket thing...some xeons are 775 ...

I remember reading an article somewhere where they tested a xeon chip as a cpu in a gaming rig. Did really well at number crunching and all the server-ish tasks but it was lagging behind to older chips in gaming. Do yourself a favor and don't buy the xeons. Save some cash, get a C2D and a nice motherboard. Plus you'll have to cool 2 cpu's if you go the dual xeon route which means a bigger case, more fans which equals to more noise or a powerful WC setup.