White Hat Hacking

Guest ecthlipsis

Guest ecthlipsis

First of all, I would really only appreciate replies of people who really know what they're talking about. Suggestions that miss the boat will probably just waste my time/money, and I have little to spare of each.

Ok, to make this short and to the point, I have no intention of doing anything malevolent to anyone, but it's undeniable that the world is becoming more and more cyberized. As that continues, knowledge of computer hacking, both offensive and defensive, are going to be even more important than they are now. I am one of those that truly believe the only way to truly know something, one must actually do it. So while I could remain a n00b all my life and pray my firewall holds, I'd much rather learn the intimate details of hacking so I can both defend from it and also do it. Also, I am training for SWAT and believe that it is essential to be strong in every area of warfare, from firearms, hand-to-hand combat, and intelligence.

So, anyone got any good sources/books that are a huge help? I only plan to use Windows by the way. So far I just have Hacking Exposed: Network Security Secrets and Solutions 5th Ed. Any other suggestions or helpful hints for a total beginner?

Also, how important is it to understand binary, hex, and other codes for hacking? Thanks in advance.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first thing you must know is you must know networking like the back of your hand. Knowing multiple server environments are good as well as programming knowledge. And even though this falls under knowing networking it is also prevelant to know security items inside and out such as routers, firewalls, etc.

A good start for a beginner would be the A+ Security study book. Read this. Other resources would be study books for CCNP, CCNA, MCSE, etc.

Believe it or not IT Security Consulting is in big demand these days by small and large companies. The company I work for recently revamped an entire schools IT infrastructure because they were about to lose their funding due to severe security issues. They ended up spending nearly $500,000 before we were done.

Guest ecthlipsis

In regards to knowing networking like the back of my hand, that's probably why I'm trying to learn all this. Not because I know them well... rather because I don't. I understand computers like the back of my hand, but know very little about networking, especially in regards to routers and proxies. This is going to be a long road, I'm sure. Thanks for the link. So A+ is good to know then, huh? Is it at all similar to C++?

There are countless resources at your disposal, both online and at your local library. Forums like this one have prove to be wonderful places of learning for me.

I also believe that doing is the easiest way of learning. That is why I thoroughly enjoyed, and learned from, HackThisSite. It is a safe, and informative environment to put all of those theories to work.

Good luck.

In regards to knowing networking like the back of my hand, that's probably why I'm trying to learn all this. Not because I know them well... rather because I don't. I understand computers like the back of my hand, but know very little about networking, especially in regards to routers and proxies. This is going to be a long road, I'm sure. Thanks for the link. So A+ is good to know then, huh? Is it at all similar to C++?

C++ Similar to A+ Certification??? The answer is no.

C++ is a programming language.

Edited by silkster

Guest ecthlipsis

Is it necessary to learn either to really be effective at hacking? I like learning about networking, security exploits, all kinds of little tricks and things, but computer codes bore the living hell out of me, lol.

Is it necessary to learn either to really be effective at hacking? I like learning about networking, security exploits, all kinds of little tricks and things, but computer codes bore the living hell out of me, lol.

If you just want to be a script kiddy no.

But if you want to be a true hacker yes.

If you don't like "computer codes", there's simply no way you're going to be successful on the black or white side of IT security.

Guest ecthlipsis
If you just want to be a script kiddy no.

But if you want to be a true hacker yes.

Ya, I figured as much. Script Kiddies always bugged me... "Dude... I'm a 1337 haxxor *uses Sub7's GUI*" Me and a friend used to use it to steal people's D2 accounts... we were fags =X I know, don't need to tell me.

Well, so be it. Anyone know what the proper order to learn would be? A+ then C? Or what?

I have a feeling this is going to be a lot like learning an instrument... completely tedious and boring, but in the end can be very enjoyable once those skills come together in harmony to make something beautiful.

Oh, and one other really open ended question... about how long does it take before one can actually start applying even a small amount of that information? IE crack a small site or a friend's home PC? I'm guessing around a year? Just want to know what I'm getting myself into, hehe. I don't have a delusional view of hacking, though, as seen in the movies. "Swordfish" always makes me laugh. "Crack the FBI's server in 60 seconds..." rofl... right :rolleyes: