usb port kills mp3 players

Could someone please explane how this could happen. When I built my new computer I upgraded my Daughters comp. using my old mobo and proc.(overclocked of corse) the board I gave her was a

DFI LP Epert , it was fine as mine for over 6 mths ,no problems. She has or had a Creative Labs Zen V MP3 player which worked fine on her other comp. The symtoms were you could play music but it could not be seen via the usb port. Thers was aslo a burnt smell . So I replaced it not knowing that my new build killed it, just thought she had done something wrong (KIDS) anyway the new one lasted for less then a week, now its dead, same symptons . How is that possible ? Any ideas ?

Edited by dling

I think there is a jumper on the board that can be used to increase the power to the usb ports to power or charge the mp3 player. Is she using it to charge the player as well as transfer her toons to it?

I think there is a jumper on the board that can be used to increase the power to the usb ports to power or charge the mp3 player. Is she using it to charge the player as well as transfer her toons to it?

Yes , I will look into the jumper, I dont think Ive ever changed any of them from their default state. This is getting expensive.

• 2 weeks later...