AM2 X2 3800(65W) on eVGA 122-M2-NF59

Will i be able to overclock my AMD AM2 X2 3800(65W) on eVGA 122-M2-NF59 (i belive thats the name) with an PNY 7600GS and some no name brand 1GB (2 x 512) memory and it still will be cool and get a some what high benchmark? also i just bought the motherboard and processor on newegg.com and they should arrive the 29th so i don't have the parts just yet.

Thanks for the help.

Edited by hardnrg
if you have your own question, start a new thread

I wouldn't get the thermaltake water cooling if I were you, it's pure crap. Instead I would build a w/c system that's going to get you good results. Personally I'd get a thermochill 120.2 radiator and a DDC2 pump with petra's top which can be found over at petrastechshop. That's just me though, and you should really do some research and find out what your goals and budget are. A good place to start learning about w/c is over at XtremeSystems. Just hang around the Liquid Cooling forum and I'm sure you'll find what you need.

If you can't afford decent liquid cooling than just go with a nice air cooling system and save up for the w/c. A crappy w/c system performs about the same or even worse than good air cooling for more $$.

As for shortening the lifespan of a processor, there is really two things that shorten lifespan, HEAT and more VOLTAGE. If you overclock without raising the voltage, expect a small decrease in lifespan because of heat. If your going to add more volts to get an overclock then expect a little or alot of decrease in lifespan. When you add more volts to the equation you are also raising the heat output of a processor. So you are really getting a double whammy when adding volts because more volts kills a processor and so can the excess heat.

Edited by DeAdLy_MaNgO

Guest ajmatson

Watch the CPU Heatsinks on that board too. I had one and if you have a large heatsink then it blocks the number 1 RAM slot. I had the stock Heatsink of a X2 5200 and it blocked it. Its a real nice board otherwise though.

Watch the CPU Heatsinks on that board too. I had one and if you have a large heatsink then it blocks the number 1 RAM slot. I had the stock Heatsink of a X2 5200 and it blocked it. Its a real nice board otherwise though.

yea i have seen some people on newegg.com talking about how big heat sinks have been blocking the first memory port.

also with the w/c i have seen in a couple of systems in nzxt.com/forum/ that had a swiftech system and they swear by it and what are some good air coolers i can look at to compare with the w/c

also with the overclocking do you want to change the multplyer and voltage?

thanks

Edited by Cool_Clint_16

yea i have seen some people on newegg.com talking about how big heat sinks have been blocking the first memory port.

also with the w/c i have seen in a couple of systems in nzxt.com/forum/ that had a swiftech system and they swear by it and what are some good air coolers i can look at to compare with the w/c

also with the overclocking do you want to change the multplyer and voltage?

thanks

I've been looking at the swiftech kits that you speak of and it looks really good until I look at the radiator. I know the radiator isn't a thermochill and I'm 95% sure it's not made by HW labs either. After reading some of the responses on that forum, I would have a hard time taking advice from 85% of that population. I personally wouldn't touch their kits with a 10 foot pole with the radiators that are in that setup, but if you decide to choose swiftech I believe the H20-220 kit will give you the best results. If the radiator is a good radiator it should be able to easily dissipate heat from the pump, CPU, and possibly a video card and net you temps close to room temperature at idle. Respectively any good water kit will net you close to room temperature 23.9 degrees Celcius if I remember correctly. However, I also believe that you'll get the most satisfaction out of doing your own research and piecing together a system that suits your needs. ;)

As for changing the multiplier and voltage yadda yadda yadda... I'll let someone else explain that as I'm not really in the mood right now.

You can still overclock even with no name budget ram in your system. The thing to do is use a lower memory divider so in fact you're not overclocking your ram at all. For example lower the speed of your ram from ddr400 to ddr333. With a cpu multiplier of 10x, the cpu fsb could be at 240mhz and your ram would be running at stock ddr400 speeds. You would also change the HT range to 4X from auto. The X2-3800 should be able to run at stock voltage at that speed. At least mine did.

You really should think of using a better cpu heatsink/fan if you plan to overclock though. A friend overclocked his X2-3800 to 2400mhz and his idle temps were in the 45c range with the stock heatsink. My temps with a Zalman 9500 were 35c.

Edited by slugbug

I personally wouldn't touch their kits with a 10 foot pole with the radiators that are in that setup, but if you decide to choose swiftech I believe the H20-220 kit will give you the best results. If the radiator is a good radiator it should be able to easily dissipate heat from the pump, CPU, and possibly a video card...

The MCR-220 is a VERY good radiator... my cpu is at 1.69v at the socket (1.632v cpu-z) and TWO graphics cards are voltmodded from 1.4v stock to 1.712v... and my cpu is ~38

You can still overclock even with no name budget ram in your system. The thing to do is use a lower memory divider so in fact you're not overclocking your ram at all. For example lower the speed of your ram from ddr400 to ddr333. With a cpu multiplier of 10x, the cpu fsb could be at 240mhz and your ram would be running at stock ddr400 speeds. You would also change the HT range to 4X from auto. The X2-3800 should be able to run at stock voltage at that speed. At least mine did.

You really should think of using a better cpu heatsink/fan if you plan to overclock though. A friend overclocked his X2-3800 to 2400mhz and his idle temps were in the 45c range with the stock heatsink. My temps with a Zalman 9500 were 35c.

well the memory is no named because i got the memory off my dell xps gen 5 right before it got retired out of service so i could expand......and with that i got that system about 2 years ago so really the memory sould be better then just going out and spending around $40 dollars on newegg.com for a pair that is just the same and so really i just need to turn down the divider but the information i got on my motherboard said that it will only support 533, 675, and 800 and my memory is the 533 so really would i need to even overclock it at all?

As for the the pumps, well... The D5 is a very DECENT pump, and my "petratech fancy top thing" is merely a modded laing DDC-2.

Your D5 puts out a maximum head of 11 ft (3.35 m) and my "petratech fancy top thing" puts out a head pressure of 18.91 ft (5.76 m).

the D5 shifts way more than the DDC-2...

D5 @ 12V: 50 psi (max), 5.5 GPM (max) - http://www.lainginc.com/D5_Vario.htm

DDC-2 @ 12V: 22 psi (max), 2 GPM (max) - http://www.lainginc.com/DDC-2.htm

the DDC-2 is only better if you have a head height around 9 foot and higher... so unless your case is as tall as the room, with the pump at the bottom, and the radiator way up at the top, the D5 is better