Proving you don't need a huge PSU to run a Hi-End System

Wish I had a Kill-a-watt to test my rigs.

Although I have had only one power supply for two years now and has been through the following rigs

Rig 1:

AMD 5200

ATI 3850 256mb

2X1GB g.skill ddr2 800

3 fans

250gb seagate 7200.10

Rig 2:

Intel E7200 (overclocked to 4.5Ghz with 1.55V for OC sessions)

ATI 3850 256mb

2X1GB g.skill ddr2 800

250gb seagate 7200.10

5 fans

Rig 3:

Intel Core I7 920 (overclocked to 3.4GHz 1.32V)

GTX 260 (sp216) OC'ed heavily

3X2GB mushkin ram

seagate 250gb 7200.10

seagate 1tb 7200.11

hitachi 500gb

3 fans

Rig 4:

AMD Phenom II X2 550

2X1GB G.Skill ddr2 800

Radeon 4850 512mb

seagate 250gb 7200.10

hitachi 500gb

3 fans

Creative sound card

I think its about time i buy some more ram, dont you think lol

man i love this power supply :) I wonder how many more years she has in her? Thoughts on that Jammin, Paul?

EDIT: woops, forgot to list the power supply :lol: Corsair VX550W

Edited by damian

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Base setup

Core i7 965 at 3.96GHZ

6 GB memory

1 1tb drive

4 Scythe Kaze 2000 RPM fans

Water cooled

D5 Vario setting 5

Voltage measured from the wall Highest draw in 3D06 Canyon Test. In Furmark the numbers go much higher

2 x 4870x2 Crossfire X Non overclocked 936 watts

2 x GTX 295 Quad SLI 757 watts

2 x 4850x2 CrossfireX 654 watts

2 x 4890 Crossfire 522 watts

2 x 4870 Crossfire 546 watts

2 x GTX285 SLI 594 watts

2 x GTX260 SLI 511 watts

Hope that gives you an idea as to what they run. This is measured from the wall and is the entire system load not just the video cards. This was run with a thermaltake 1200 watt toughpower PSU.

Although I have had only one power supply for two years now...

I wonder how many more years she has in her? Thoughts Jammin, Paul?

EDIT: woops, forgot to list the power supply :lol:

Corsair VX550W

Depends what you decide to throw at it in the future as much as anything else.

At the end of the day it would be complete guesswork.

The important thing is that Corsair is confident enough to give you 5 years for which you don't have to worry (only 3 more to go then).

Frank - Thanks, that does give me a reasonable idea. Multiply those numbers by 0.85 and you should get a reasonable DC load estimate (assuming you haven't done that already).

So 936W becomes 795W for example.

Frank - Thanks, that does give me a reasonable idea. Multiply those numbers by 0.85 and you should get a reasonable DC load estimate (assuming you haven't done that already).

So 936W becomes 795W for example.

This is the part everyone forgets! If you forget to convert AC to DC the numbers look much higher than they really should.

Just the thread I need. I have problems with stability no matter what voltage I give my CPU around 3.60gHz. if I try to go higher than 3.62gHz the system does not post no matter what voltage I give to the cpu... even if I specify ram timings, raise ram voltage, etc. I've tried it all but anything between 3.62gHz and 4.0 is unreachable. However I can get it to boot at 4.0gHz however it is extremely unstable. I am thinking my 700W PSU might be the weak link here I don't think its feeding either enough watts or amps to fuel my overclock anymore. What do you guys think?

PSU: OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W

Just the thread I need. I have problems with stability no matter what voltage I give my CPU around 3.60gHz. if I try to go higher than 3.62gHz the system does not post no matter what voltage I give to the cpu... even if I specify ram timings, raise ram voltage, etc. I've tried it all but anything between 3.62gHz and 4.0 is unreachable. However I can get it to boot at 4.0gHz however it is extremely unstable. I am thinking my 700W PSU might be the weak link here I don't think its feeding either enough watts or amps to fuel my overclock anymore. What do you guys think?

Send me your Bios shots of what you are running and maybe I can help you out. The 700 should be fine where you are running hardware wise.

i have the same PSU , havent had much of a problem with mine.

havent really pushed anything that far yet

hmm. Why measure out what your system takes in when you can just go off of the Manufacture recomendations. Every video card, chip, HDD ect has its own set of specs on the net. ME, I like to keep it simple. Find a power suppply that is good enough to power the Video card plus a bit then thats all I look for. Only rreason I got the one I have is Free shipping, Smoking good deal, and A three way SLI dream.

Plus Like varren Mentioned I also would rather Pay extra for something That won't smoke due to overload.