Proving you don't need a huge PSU to run a Hi-End System

I thought I would start a new thread rather than tack extra stuff onto the Recommended PSU List.

The aim of this thread is to provide proof that you don't need to run out and buy a high power PSU

to run an average Hi-End system today.

So, I would like everyone to take note if you see someone running a 'high power' system on what you

may consider an underpowered PSU, and post a link to it in here.

If some of you want to get hands on with it as well and try powering your main gaming/overclocked

system with a lower power PSU, then that would be great (you might have a decent lower powered PSU

hanging around in a secondary rig).

I'll start off by posting a couple of links to systems running on one of the lowest rated PSUs on the Recommended List:

The Antec Earthwatts 380W

System 1 - Link Here

1. 8800GTX

2. e6600 @ 3.6GHz with 1.47v vcore

3. 4x1GB DDR2 RAM.

4. 2xSATA 7200RPM HHD and DVD burner.

5. P5W64 WS Pro motherboard.

6. 4 pretty low-power fans, including yate-loon slow inside the tuniq and whatever is inside of the 8800GTX.

7. misc. extension cards that come and go :P

System 2 - Link Here

e6600 @ 3.1Ghz - 1.4125v in bios

Sapphire x1900 XT 512MB

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is a great idea :D

The reason why many are under the impression they need some crazy high end power supply is because when buying parts, rarely will you be able to calculate how much power you really need, which is unfortunate :(

I think a lot of people just assume that for $20 or so, it's worth it to get an overkill PSU. That's how I've always looked at it, anyways. $20 on a $1200 system is worth the peace of mind, to me.

But I do really like the concept of this thread. It's nice to know what these systems actually require, rather than just guesstimating, or using inaccurate calculators.

Yes, I agree a lot of people will still be perfectly happy to spend a bit more in the knowledge that they probably won't use the extra power.

It is also worth noting that higher powered PSUs are generally (though they have been getting better) less efficient at low loads.

As a rough rule, the higher the rating, the more load you have to put on to reach ideal efficiency.

Therefore buying a PSU suited to the average of your system load makes, as a more efficient PSU pulls less from the wall and so costs less to run.

Higher efficiency also = less energy wasted as heat, so the PSU should run cooler and probably quieter as well as a side effect.

The main purpose of the thread is of course to show people who think you need a high powered PSU that you don't. :)

The main purpose of the thread is of course to show people who think you need a high powered PSU that you don't. :)

Agreed :thumbs-up:

Maybe we should call out to the people who have those Kill-A-Watt meters (or equivilent). I know I've been meaning to get some numbers on my machine. Mine's hardly high-end anymore, but it's still comparitive data :) Maybe I'll do that tonight...

Well, when I say 'around' I mean I've looked at all the components and googled it :lol: Then added 20W :P

I would like to get one of those proper plug meters that give you nice detailed info, but I don't have one :(

Ok, so basically you don't know :lol:

I'd be interested to measure mine as well. I would guess it isn't even using half the PSUs capacity for the the majority of the time (possibly all the time).

Edited by jammin

:lol:

Not really, though I suppose that could have contributed.

It was more triggered by the threads in the first post and some discussion over at SPCR.

Plus I thought the points made in the intro to the recommended PSU thread could do with a bit more evidence to back them up. :)