Sign in to follow this  
jammin

Proving you don't need a huge PSU to run a Hi-End System

everyone's favourite, newegg lol: [url="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882715001"]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16882715001[/url]

Yes, Kill A Watt meters are popular and will give you a reasonable measurement of power pulled from the wall.

I wouldn't rely on any online calculator to give you a very accurate rating of what PSU you'll need.

[quote name='hardnrg' post='706554' date='Jul 17 2007, 12:15 AM']It's nowhere near accurate... I just put my current rig specs in and it recommends a 1010 W psu... I have a 510 W psu, and I've measure my system and it uses 408 W DC at full load on cpu and gpus[/quote]
Hard drives and such use up a lot of power in generic calculators...and it's hard to get them to go full-load when everything else is also loaded down.

I use those calculators as a worst case scenario for cheap psus.

I have no idea what my system uses, but I'm sure it's nowhere near 500watt mark. I've been saying for a long time you don't need an uber expensive psu to run a decent system.

[quote name='hardnrg' post='706558' date='Jul 16 2007, 07:26 PM']everyone's favourite, newegg lol: [url="http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882715001"]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16882715001[/url][/quote]
Thats where everyone has been getting those and I just ordered, oh well I will get one next time I order. Thanks for posting that nrg

[quote name='road-runner' post='706585' date='Jul 16 2007, 10:42 PM']Thats where everyone has been getting those and I just ordered, oh well I will get one next time I order. Thanks for posting that nrg[/quote]
I found it on Xoxide under the I gotta have one or whatever section. We'll have to compare prices. How long is it safe to keep on plugged into the wall. I assume that you plug it into the wall and then plug you surge protector/UPS into it.

[quote name='chavalcito' post='706602' date='Jul 16 2007, 08:29 PM']I found it on Xoxide under the I gotta have one or whatever section. We'll have to compare prices. How long is it safe to keep on plugged into the wall. I assume that you plug it into the wall and then plug you surge protector/UPS into it.[/quote]

You are correct. Also, I've had mine plugged into my wall for nearly 6 months, highly useful tool. Edited by The Unforgivin

*resurrects old thread*

Alright, the system in my sig is running just fine on the Antec Earthwatts 380W, but do yourself a favor and buy yourself a bigger PSU. Yes, yes, I know, I started this whole discussion about how everyone buys overpowered PSUs for their rigs and I go recommend some low wattage model, but not as low as this. If someone in the forums asked what PSU I would recommend for a similar system as the on I'm running right now, I'd recommend something in the 400-450W range, for the simple reason that it won't be as LOUD as this sucker is right now :lol:

Just some quick information about this rig and what it's used for. I overclocked the E6600 to 3.6GHz with 1.520Vs, running the RAM at 500MHz 5-5-5-18 at 2.1Vs. The video card (8800GT 512MB) is overclocked to 700/1750MHz stock already, so I didn't fiddle with that. Other than that you have the usual bits and bobs, DVD-RW drive, 250GB HDD etc which all don't draw that much power. The rig has been running 100% CPU and 100% GPU load since day one, 24/7, folding it's brains out for OCC (GPU2 client and the regular CPU client, SMP takes too much of a hit on the GPU power I think, anyone got experience there?). It runs rock stable, just that the 80mm fan in the Earthwatts 380W does get a little louder than I like. It's in a different room than myself, so it doesn't really bother me, just note that if you want to run a decent mid-range rig on a low power PSU, make sure the dang thing has a 120mm fan in it :lol: It's not like the PSU is running very hot (that's the GPUs job!), it's really quite cool although close to full load.

So yea, the verdict: It works fine, there is even lots of headroom for overclocking and the like, but the PSU might get a little loud if it doesn't have a 120mm fan in it.

On a side note, don't try and run GPU folding on a passively cooled 8800GT with an Accelero S1 Rev. 2 on it, the sucker will get REALLY hot. I only noticed that after two days of folding though, I almost burnt my fingers touching the cooler. Anyways, take some Zip-Ties and slap a 120mm on there and everythings fine :D

Second side not, these Saxon PC Airflow Straighteners really do work, I put one on my top intake fan (blowing directly at the TRUE) and CPU load temps dropped by around 3

I've got the system in my signature running on a CoolerMaster RPP 850 simply because it has the connectors for SLI and eventually Tri-SLI... :)

Well yea, for a higher end system like yours a good hefty PSU is adviseable ;)

My new rig is using a 610 Watt PSU and I doubt it pulls much over 70% of that under full load.