Some FSB Help Please

sorry ma, didn't read all of the above posts. Have you tried running everything stock and then increasing the mem voltage to the rated amount? Just to check if it works then, if it doesn't, I think it's RMA time for that Asus piece of crap! If it can't even make the rated voltage, I'd be switching mobos!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ecthlipsis
sorry ma, didn't read all of the above posts. Have you tried running everything stock and then increasing the mem voltage to the rated amount? Just to check if it works then, if it doesn't, I think it's RMA time for that Asus piece of crap! If it can't even make the rated voltage, I'd be switching mobos!

Agreed. Stock voltage is the guaranteed safe volts that something can use and be under warranty. Once you learn more about the different ram bins, and add just common sense, you'll realize good ram can handle way more than what it's rated for. GEIL even warranties some of their ram at a whopping 2.4v for life, and it's the same type (Micron D9GMH) that mine are.

In short, if the dang thing won't even boot at 2.0v, something is definitely wrong and an RMA might be in order.

Oh, and about the memory ratio thing... in short that is simply the ratio at which your FSB moves relative to your memory. Thus, at 1:1 they are making equal movements as you increase the FSB. Thus, a FSB at 300mhz would = ram at 300mhz (x2, since it's DDR) so 600mhz. That's quite underclocked. My mobo came set to 2:3 which is perfect for the standard. FSB of 266 x 1.5 (50% increase) = 399mhz, and since it's DDR it's 800. Perfect. However, as I increase my FSB I'll need to turn that ratio down. Here's an example: CPU speed is multiplier x FSB, right? So to get my E6600 to 3.0ghz I would need to set my FSB to 333mhz (333 x 9). However, at 2:3 that would also raise my ram to 500mhz (333 x 1.5), which is way too fast my for DDR2 800. Thus I lowered the ratio and was able to raise my cpu to 3.0ghz while only raising my ram to 440mhz ish, which is totally acceptable. Hope that made sense a bit. In short, if you set your memory to 1:1 you are probably underclocking it, as it will set it equal to the FSB. In your case, having high speed ram, that is not a good thing, as the ram can handle some pretty fast speeds. Check it in CPU-Z and see what it is actually running at. I'd like to know.

Just to check if it works then, if it doesn't, I think it's RMA time for that Asus piece of crap!

Thanks King, but it would be to easy to blame the Striker board which has been FLAWLESS in all aspects including Asus Support which has been excellent in communication and technical help. This is a lot more than can be said for most other MFR's. Plus, the on board controls are bar none to ANY board on the market now. I think the bone heading goes to me.

Stock voltage is the guaranteed safe volts that something can use and be under warranty.

Thanks for the help again ecthlipsis. True on the warranty issue if valid, but ruled out the board and ruled in my on bone head approach as I mentioned to King. First, the Striker board does not have setting for 3:2 on memory to FSB. Instead, it has 5:4. Now, since this is my first go at this, I set the memory to run at 5:4 which put the memory to 866MHz. I then set the voltage to 2.1v from 2.0v. I left the Multiplier on the CPU at 12x with the voltage at 1.30v fixed, not AUTO, and then I was able to boot to Vista. I then bumped the FSB to 270MHz and got into Vista again with no issues. I then bumped the FSB to 275MHz putting the FSB at 1,100MHz and had no issues with Vista loading. Ran OCCT and after 15min it erred. I went back and bumped the CPU VCORE to 1.3489, booted back into Vista and ran OCCT again this time for 30 and again, no errors.

Oddly, I went on this morning to print something and as soon as Vista loaded, I got a Memory Dump BSOD when I had multiple apps open. So, back to the BIOS I went and bumped the Memory Voltage to 2.15 and ran OCCT again for 15min without issues. Then I did heavy multitasking, copy and pasting images to replicate the memory dump and got no errors. So, I'm stable with the FSB set at 275 (1,100MHz), CPU at 12x @ 1.389v with the memory sitting at a low 866MHz set 5:4 at 2.15v.

I plan to get the FSB to 280, leave the CPU at 12x but want the memory to run 1:1 which I think is doable but this is what caused all my headaches at the start of my endeavors. The Dominator Memory was the first thing days ago. I set it 1:1 (1066MHz) and 2.2v per its spec and couldn

One final question, does bumping up the FSB require a voltage increase in the CPU? My understanding is the CPU VCORE needs only increasing if you up the Multiplier right?. Is this assumption true? Help on that well appreciated. And thanks for the help on all else fellas.

Yes and no. I think you're looking at it as a more direct relationship than it really is.

Neither the multi nor the FSB increases "require" a voltage boost. You might be able to push both significantly without touching the voltage at all. Or you might need voltage to increase either at all. Each chip will be a little different, but you don't necessarily have to increase voltage to do either. Does that make sense?

Yes and no. I think you're looking at it as a more direct relationship than it really is.

Neither the multi nor the FSB increases "require" a voltage boost. You might be able to push both significantly without touching the voltage at all. Or you might need voltage to increase either at all. Each chip will be a little different, but you don't necessarily have to increase voltage to do either. Does that make sense?

Pretty much it does...I guess your meaning is to play it by ear based on stability. I really don't want to push the VCORE above 1.4v although, where I'm at now is 1.389 and pushing it to 1.4 should NOT be a BIG diff but temps right now with Air Cooling are around 42C-44C and OCCT under full load for 30min pushed the CPU to the thermal threshold of 65C. So, hopefully at 280 FSB I won't need to push the CPU VCORE higher, but odds are I will at least have to go to 1.4v. Ideas? Suggestions? All welcome on my end. :rolleyes:

Thanks King, but it would be to easy to blame the Striker board which has been FLAWLESS in all aspects including Asus Support which has been excellent in communication and technical help. This is a lot more than can be said for most other MFR's. Plus, the on board controls are bar none to ANY board on the market now. I think the bone heading goes to me.

If you say the options are the best on the market, have you tried any other boards? I know the DFI Lanparty ICFX-3200 and Lanparty 680i LT boards have more options that the Striker! I built rigs for friends, one with the ICFX and one with the 680i LT, sheesh those have a TON of options! If I compare that to screenshots of every (!) page of the Striker BIOS, I know the DFI boards have the most options.

If you are so centered on the Striker, please, do whatever you like. I was stating that is that piece of silicon can't boot at over 2.0V's, it'd either be in my garbage bin or on the way to *insert reseller name here* for switch for a DFI/Gigabyte/Abit board.

Bone heading goes to you? Ohh well, I don't care, I was giving a possible answer to your problem with my opinion of the board. Nothin wrong with that, but if you want to ignore me, please do <_<

Guest ecthlipsis

5:4? Yuck, that's even worse than 1:1 for your set-up. You want the ratio to increase the memory more than the processor, especially since you boosted the multiplier 2x. What ratios DOES your mobo allow? Even the 3:4 is way better than that, as your ram is way underclocked at the moment. While I'm glad you're having a bit more luck OC'ing the processor now, you are just barely breaking even as now your ram is UC.

Guest ecthlipsis

Oh, and in regards to needing even more than 1.4v to get the FSB above 280... holy crap, something is really not going right. On 1.35v I have my FSB clocked at 337.5mhz and it's 100% stable. I can push it higher, also. I'm just on a cheaper ASUS board, too (P5N-E SLI 650i). RMA bro, as that board isn't overclocking for anything. A Dell would probably overclock better than that =X

If you say the options are the best on the market, have you tried any other boards?

To answer your question, yes. Intel and an old MSI board which I had issues with. The Intel boards were always solid. Multiple friends and co-workers in the industry have had other boards. Some, swear by one others another. I based my buying decision on multiple HDW reviews from multiple sources. But the one, and main one I swear by, is CPU mag. Love their articles and never steered me wrong.

Oh, and in regards to needing even more than 1.4v to get the FSB above 280... holy crap, something is really not going right.

Not really ecthlipsis. Read the quote below. They used the X6800 but it's dang close to what I am following even though the X6800 is a Duo and mine is Quad (maybe the reason for the voltage demand). Look, as we ALL know, each CPU and board combo has different results. Because my board is asking more or less, or requiring more volts and less volts does NOT mean there is something wrong with the board. I am new at this overclock thing but carry over 20yrs or HDW experience to know better. My problems are with me and my approach NOT my board and that's the honorable thing to say. Again, see this quote from the April issue of CPU Mag. Also, here is the link to the article from my quote. Great article and good reading -> Overclock Your PC For Top Performance

To alter the CPU voltage on our system, we entered the System Voltages submenu of the system BIOS
Edited by TheRealOmegaMan

that link doesn't work. Also, what I meant was that if you had tried any other 775 boards. <_<

Sorry, Ding. I just realized you have to be a suscriber to view the entire article...here is the highlight of what I was hoping you guys could see..

But this clock speed required an FSB of 288MHz. If we set our CPU
Edited by TheRealOmegaMan