Pentium 4 vs Opteron

I have a Pentium 4 CPU and board (2.93 GHz) and also a Dual core Opteron (2.64 GHz) (one core is always folding, so that makes it preform like a single anyway)

Which will be faster?

The Opty would be faster. It could be different if using one core comes into play, but a 2.64ghz single core opty would ruin a P4 @ 2.9

I have a Pentium 4 CPU and board (2.93 GHz) and also a Dual core Opteron (2.64 GHz) (one core is always folding, so that makes it preform like a single anyway)

Which will be faster?

You can look up hardware and points for each here

Stock speed a 3000+ (1.8ghz Winchester/Venice) can beat out a 3.0 P4 (Northwood w/HT) for MOST things...so how on earth the opteron wouldnt win in your scenario is beyond me. Also eventhough folding is using one core, you still have 100% usage of it if you need it, folding runs low priority and the process will halt allowing other processes to use the CPU if needed.

In short the P4 sucks if you look at a performance only comparison (and if it's a presshott core it sucks anyway...unless you need a spaceheater...in the summer :-\)

Stock speed a 3000+ (1.8ghz Winchester/Venice) can beat out a 3.0 P4 (Northwood w/HT) for MOST things...so how on earth the opteron wouldnt win in your scenario is beyond me. Also eventhough folding is using one core, you still have 100% usage of it if you need it, folding runs low priority and the process will halt allowing other processes to use the CPU if needed.

This isn't an insult but {thought you were so smart} 50% of my CPU or core0 is dedicated to F@H no matter what else i do. Always the entire core0. (some times half and half) (i know some of you guys run f@h when your PC is inactive, not me

Nope...constant 50%

Also even though folding is using one core, you still have 100% usage of it if you need it, folding runs low priority and the process will halt allowing other processes to use the CPU if needed.

It may be showing 50% but as I stated and stated above it will let up and let other processes have what they need

yeah... a P4 < 3GHz would be annihilated... even by 3200 Winchester could whip some P4 butt :lol:

as for the folding "letting up"... just a reminder... SMP folding under Ubuntu64 inside VMWare runs at default/normal priority and will not yield to all competing processes... there could be other way of setting up folding which don't default to the lowest priority too (dunno what though)