Monitor going black

So I just put together a new machine and its running an Intel 6600, PNY 8600 GTX, BFG 680i mobo, Antec Truepower 2.0, 2 gigs of Kingston HyperX and a SB X-Fi. Everything works fine and everything as long as I don't run any 3D programs it seems like. Its running windows XP and the latest Nvidia drivers and stuff. Whenever I load up NWN2 or CS:S or anything like that within 10 minutes the screen goes black but the sound and everything keeps running fine. Its like the video input just stops or something.

The only thing I can think of that would be an issue is the mobo "strongly recommends" a 8 pin 12v or some such for additional CPU power but says you can still use a 4 pin if you have to.

I don't know... any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

None? I don't mean to bump but I'm still having this problem and I'm nowhere closer to fixing it. I've tried reseating my ram, video card, sound card and processor and all of my cooling elements and it doesn't seem to be a temperature issue.

The only thing I can think of that would be an issue is the mobo "strongly recommends" a 8 pin 12v or some such for additional CPU power but says you can still use a 4 pin if you have to.

I don't know... any thoughts?

Well since an 8 pin connector is recommended, that may be your problem. And note how you said that it said "if you have to". Sounds to me like they're saying "if you have absolutely no other option, do this". Since only your monitor blacks out when the video card goes under load, it seems that it's not getting enough power. Also make sure you have the 6 pin pcie power cable plugged in. Didn't mention it in your post so make sure it's in.

Its possible there is a problem with the PS not giving the video card enough power or it could be that your monitor is going i'd try switching monitors and seeing if that fixes the problem before getting another ps.

New Antec 550 Neo HE PSU, switched monitors... going to try switching video cards next. Dirext X and everything are up to date... I realized the machine doesn't have SP2 so I'm doing that now but I doubt that'll help.