Resident Evil 4

ClayMeow

There's one part where you're backtracking through the police station, so you think everything is cleared, and suddenly this huge mutated monster comes crashing through the wall. Holy crap, if I was incontinent, I would have crapped myself.

Was that Resident Evil 2 or 3?

Anyways I hate how certain games look better on the console than on the pc (Halo...)

Anyone play this?

I played Resident Evil 2 for PS and have seen all the RE movies, but I never played RE3 (nor RE1). RE4 is now available for the PC though, so I was wondering if this would be worth getting, or is it beneficial to play RE3 first? <_<

Thanks.

Hands down one of the best games I have ever played. You absolutely should play this game Clay it doesn't disappoint.

Was that Resident Evil 2 or 3?

Anyways I hate how certain games look better on the console than on the pc (Halo...)

RE2, the only one I've played so far.

Hands down one of the best games I have ever played. You absolutely should play this game Clay it doesn't disappoint.
Cool cool :)

Guest ecthlipsis

I played through RE4 on the GC when it first came out and paid full price for it. It was worth every penny, and now I am going to be picking it up for PC as I no longer have a GC. And don't let your opinion of other RE games influence your choice... this one is really a whole different animal, especially in terms of controls. The other RE games are ok but feel like playing through as a cripple. This one is totally worth picking up, as I can't even see a type of gamer it wouldn't apply to, really.

In regards to the graphics not being as good on PC, though... what the hell are you smoking? Instead of being at like 800x600 with lame textures you can now play it at like 3 times the resolution, add antistropic filtering, antialiasing and the textures are probably higher quality to boot. It's only uglier if you set it that way...

Guest ecthlipsis

Ok, so I picked this one up and am pretty happy with it. Here's my summarized review of the PC version, focusing on the changes.

It definitely suffers from poor-port syndrome... the FMV sequences are so compressed it looks like watching a pathetically boot-legged copy. Mouse support is NOT included at all, and requires a third-party mod (MouseAim 2.0) to activate. Even though the mod works fine, the mouse movement is far from smooth, and thus accuracy is severely affected.

The graphics in game are MUCH better than the console versions. How can it not be when it is running in much higher resolution with 4x AA and 8x AF? The controls work fine overall, too, other than one factor that is very frustrating. CAPCOM didn't bother to change the names of the keys to what you map them to, and the defaults are listed as "button 4" and "button 3" etc. This doesn't seem like a problem until a time-sensitive pop up prompts you to "Press button 2 + 4 to dodge" as a huge boulder attempts to crush you. What buttons are those? Opps, I'm dead. *Reload*. *Try different combo*. *Die again*. *Repeat*. There are many sequences like that in the game, too. Other than that aspect, the controls are fine, the porters just got lazy (as usual) and didn't bother to change anything regarding the menu and mapping names.

Overall, totally worth $20 for those of you that either 1) have never played it or 2) want to play through it again and don't have a PS2 / GC.

Ok, so I picked this one up and am pretty happy with it. Here's my summarized review of the PC version, focusing on the changes.

It definitely suffers from poor-port syndrome... the FMV sequences are so compressed it looks like watching a pathetically boot-legged copy. Mouse support is NOT included at all, and requires a third-party mod (MouseAim 2.0) to activate. Even though the mod works fine, the mouse movement is far from smooth, and thus accuracy is severely affected.

The graphics in game are MUCH better than the console versions. How can it not be when it is running in much higher resolution with 4x AA and 8x AF? The controls work fine overall, too, other than one factor that is very frustrating. CAPCOM didn't bother to change the names of the keys to what you map them to, and the defaults are listed as "button 4" and "button 3" etc. This doesn't seem like a problem until a time-sensitive pop up prompts you to "Press button 2 + 4 to dodge" as a huge boulder attempts to crush you. What buttons are those? Opps, I'm dead. *Reload*. *Try different combo*. *Die again*. *Repeat*. There are many sequences like that in the game, too. Other than that aspect, the controls are fine, the porters just got lazy (as usual) and didn't bother to change anything regarding the menu and mapping names.

Overall, totally worth $20 for those of you that either 1) have never played it or 2) want to play through it again and don't have a PS2 / GC.

Thanks for the great synopsis. I'll be out of town for a little, but will have to pick it up after I get back :).

• 1 month later...

Well...I can't speak for the PC version since I never tried it. The PS2 version was wonderful though, and is still one of my favorite games for that console. There is alot to see and do, and plenty of things to scare/freak you out. :)

• 2 weeks later...