E4300 IHS Removal?

It's much like the A64 removal just a bit more stress and heat, but when it pops off you feel

so relieved.

I take it you did this on a E6xx0 cpu then as you mentioned heat? Got any pics? Fancy making a thread/guide?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guys...i have a $228 Opteron and it is wicked hot (40-50* when it is only 50% used) it still costs $228... i am so nervous about IHS removal... I will not be able to replace the chip at it's current price... how hard is IHS removal, what risk level?

EDIT: and yes, i did look over the guide, multiple times

Edited by coolcat97

Guys...i have a $228 Opteron and it is wicked hot (40-50* when it is only 50% used) it still costs $228... i am so nervous about IHS removal... I will not be able to replace the chip at it's current price... how hard is IHS removal, what risk level?

EDIT: and yes, i did look over the guide, multiple times

If you have a steady and and some time it's not hard at all. It also helps a lot to know exactly what's under the hood of the chip before you slice in so you know how far in you can go. hardnrg covered that part in his guide. Other than that, there's really nothing else to it. Of course it'll still be a while before I slice my cpu up like that...

the best thing to use is an old man style razor blade... if you can get a single-sided one that'd be perfect... if not, tape one side up or maybe tape over a piece of cardboard...

if I had to do it again, I'd probably use a razor blade because using a stanley knife is kinda like using a dinner knife to cut cheese - possible, but certainly not the best tool for the job

for the greatest control, you want the sharpest blade, as you will have to use the least pressure and least amount of holding force on the cpu so you'll be much less likely to slip or bend pins

for the greatest control, you want the sharpest blade, as you will have to use the least pressure and least amount of holding force on the cpu so you'll be much less likely to slip or bend pins

You could also go out and ebay a dead board and then just slice out the socket(AMD sockets only. LGA775 socket kills this idea for intel) so you can place the processor in there and have more area to grab on to without worrying about bending pins or anything like that.

You could also go out and ebay a dead board and then just slice out the socket(AMD sockets only. LGA775 socket kills this idea for intel) so you can place the processor in there and have more area to grab on to without worrying about bending pins or anything like that.

a little unnecessary... foam will do... and thanks you guys ... maybe next weekend i will do this and get higher clocks :P

a little unnecessary... foam will do... and thanks you guys ... maybe next weekend i will do this and get higher clocks :P

Think of it like buying a tool. Invest once and use it until it breaks.

I'd feel a bit safer if my pins were in a specially designed plastic/metal shell than some cheap piece of foam. But anyway, good luck with the removal. :)