E4300 IHS Removal?

it is definitely possible for the x6xx0 series intels, it involves several razorblades, a cup/mug/glass, and a mini blowtorch or heatgun... basically you cut around the ihs exactly like with the a64, but then instead of popping the ihs off, you put razorblades at each corner, put the cpu/razorblades on the top of a cup/mug/glass, and then evenly heat the ihs by passing a mini blowtorch/heatgun over the ihs and the cpu falls down into the cup/mug/glass

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it is definitely possible for the x6xx0 series intels, it involves several razorblades, a cup/mug/glass, and a mini blowtorch or heatgun... basically you cut around the ihs exactly like with the a64, but then instead of popping the ihs off, you put razorblades at each corner, put the cpu/razorblades on the top of a cup/mug/glass, and then evenly heat the ihs by passing a mini blowtorch/heatgun over the ihs and the cpu falls down into the cup/mug/glass

Not worth it.

Funnily enough, that's the same response I got about removing the A64 IHS:

http://forums.overclockersclub.com/index.php?showtopic=39130

All you have to do with the A64 is cut the goop of of the sides and lift the IHS off. I would be afraid of damaging the chip on a C2D havig to balance it on a mug or something and then heatig it with a small torch until the thermal adhesive melts off. Not for a few degrees lower temp.

:withstupid: Just go to phase change and you do not have to worry about it.

Wow, that's an economical solution. <----sarcasm...

Unless you mean a TEC type of solution, I would just get a better water cooled setup or an excellent air cooler.

Ok so i was able to remove the IHS without breaking the chip.

It's a very sexy chip underneath.

I modified the socket in such manner, so that i could install my coldplate.

It has little rubbers to keep it up right, the surface is mirror shined. So

i didn't use any thermal paste between the components.

It seems they made a manufacturing fault because the temp drop is 12.5C, which

is a lot for only removing IHS (thats on load).

Very happy with the results though i had a few moments that i thought i was screwing

up the whole thing :D

It's much like the A64 removal just a bit more stress and heat, but when it pops off you feel

so relieved.

I modified the socket in such manner, so that i could install my coldplate.

It has little rubbers to keep it up right, the surface is mirror shined. So

i didn't use any thermal paste between the components.

It seems they made a manufacturing fault because the temp drop is 12.5C, which

is a lot for only removing IHS (thats on load).

Very happy with the results though i had a few moments that i thought i was screwing

up the whole thing :D

It's much like the A64 removal just a bit more stress and heat, but when it pops off you feel

so relieved.

It doesn't matter how mirror shined it is, you MUST use a thermal interface material of somekind or it will fail!!

Pics.

It doesn't matter how mirror shined it is, you MUST use a thermal interface material of somekind or it will fail!!

You don't have to use thermal compound. What do you mean by "it will fail"?

Don't you have to put thermal paste on any modern chip?

I have never heard that nor have I ever seen any evidence to support it. <shrug>

I think a lot of people get all excited and exagerate things. Thermal compound helps, and can usually knock at least a few degrees off your temps, but I know plenty of people who have never used it on any of their PCs. I didn't use it until a few years ago, and I never had a chip meltdown or anything like that.

All it does is fill in the air gaps caused by "imperfections" in the two surfaces. Theoretically if the two surfaces were perfectly flat, it might do more harm than good. I worked for a few years in the server realm, and plenty of the servers I worked on didn't have any thermal compound on them.