E4300 IHS Removal?

Hey,

Just got a E4300, running it on an Koolance Exos-2 with Koolance 305-V10 cpu block. It's running at about 60C on load @ 3.15Ghz.

Would like to know if it's possible to remove the IHS (Integrated Head Spreader). Should be able to obtain much better temps

if it is naked i believe. Someone know if this has been done please give a link, with photos would be nice :D

Thanks

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is somethig that has commonly been done on A64 CPUs, but I don't see the need to do it to a C2D. The IHS is built in such a way that it may mess up the proper pressure put upon the CPU when the retention mechanism is engaged in the socket.

FYI: My load temps at 3.2 are 52c, on air. It may be normal to be that high because you are running a greater oc %, but I'm not sure.

Well, Intel uses a sort of ... thermal goop mixed with super glue sort of stuff ... if you try and use a knife to cut and pry, you might as well throw away the processor. (unless Intel changed) However, i saw on some site that they stuck four razor blades in each side of a cpu (p4?) and heated the top slightly with a blowtorch. then the knives are supposed to have raised it just enough for it to pop off.

And C2D are stable up to 75 C...right?

As for the IHS stuff, we had a thread about 775 IHS removal a while ago. You can find it here. The general agreement was that it is possible, but not probable. A LOT of people seem to be failing at doing it. The success rate is nothing like that of the A64 chips.

I hate to say it, but if you're worried about temps I'd do something about that Koolance before I cut the processor :)

Well, Intel uses a sort of ... thermal goop mixed with super glue sort of stuff ... if you try and use a knife to cut and pry, you might as well throw away the processor. (unless Intel changed) However, i saw on some site that they stuck four razor blades in each side of a cpu (p4?) and heated the top slightly with a blowtorch. then the knives are supposed to have raised it just enough for it to pop off.

For all but the current E4X00 series yes (and potentially the E6X20s, but ive read nothing about attempts with them yet.

Basically no is the answer. And being willing to break 2-3 processors to get one to work is just retarded, you might as well buy a faster one to begin with.

Actually the answer is yes...

I have read of it being done by heating the built in heatspreader on the stove to break the bond between the solder used as a thermal conductorand the cores themselves.

While some chips use an adhesive between the core and IHS, NONE USE SOLDER.

As for the IHS stuff, we had a thread about 775 IHS removal a while ago. You can find it here. The general agreement was that it is possible, but not probable. A LOT of people seem to be failing at doing it. The success rate is nothing like that of the A64 chips.

I hate to say it, but if you're worried about temps I'd do something about that Koolance before I cut the processor :)

That thread is outdated as far as the E4X00 sereis is concerned sadly, however your good bye Koolance b4 CPU hacking I 100% agree with

Now lets clear up some of these fuzzy "facts" so many of you "know."

1. Most all 775 CPUs use a thermal adhesive between the Core and IHS

2. The E4300 is not MOST 775 CPUs, it uses a crappy thermal paste (and a dang thick layer at that).

3. Removing the IHS from an E4300 will NOT damage it.

The E4300's IHS is only slightly more difficult to remove than an Athlon 64, even so it seems that the core is VERY prone to cracking, even with care and planning a friend of mine managed to somehow crack his with his water block. He had the A64 removal experience and hasn't broken any socket A CPUs so it's a little odd that he had this happen while taking such care.

Here's a pic of what you DONT want to have when you're done (note the vertical line (aka crack) ~1/3 from the left side of the core).

cracked_small.jpg

Now before you run out and start hacking away your CPU, there's some VERY important info you need to know. For one the top of the COU core will sit BELOW the socket load plate, so unless you use wanna use a stock cooler you've got to remove the load plate from the socket, now for mroe fun, the rest of the socket is STILL in the way if your cooler's contact area is bigget than the CPU, so now you've got to bend the metal back just to get contact with the core. Assuming you DON'T screw up any of this you've now voided the warranty on both your motherboard and CPU so good luck if you kill it.

Personally I dont think it's worth it, not to say that i wont try it when I buy another E4X00 CPU, but it certianly wouldnt be first on my list of things to rip appart.

Here's a nice link to a true success (btw the E4300 i posted the pic of DID work IHSless until the core cracked).

A simple decent water cooling system will fix those temps or even decent air cooling probably does better than that Koolance. I have one of the Koolance cases with water cooling. The radiator, pump, blocks etc. are hanging on my peg board upstairs and I use the case with air cooling for a folding rig.