Folding Using The Linux SMP Client Under Windows

Nemo

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have you used that one, the other looks scetchy. Still, is there a benefit to Linux SMP over Win. They are both beta right now; the Linux that is posted now is a beta also.

EDIT: I just looked at it and realized that I am running a wifi network adapter, I can't do that on this box. Well, I'll get a straw and suck it up! When I move into my new house in Sept I'll be connecting via Ethernet with a router for firewall purposes.

Have you used that one, the other looks scetchy. Still, is there a benefit to Linux SMP over Win. They are both beta right now; the Linux that is posted now is a beta also.

Linux is faster even with vmware but I had trouble getting errors with vmware/linux when OCing over 3.2Ghz. Even at 3.2 and Vmware I was getting 2200 PPD

Linux is faster even with vmware but I had trouble getting errors with vmware/linux when OCing over 3.2Ghz. Even at 3.2 and Vmware I was getting 2200 PPD

Seems like too much work when my wife uses the 'puter also.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm having problems setting up Ubuntu in VMware :( Downloaded VMware, downloaded Ubuntu 7.10, boots up fine into the live CD. Then I click install, did the steps etc, then when I came back (the installing thing did come up!), it sits there on the desktop of the live CD. The desktop icons are "examples" and "install", like normally, but then there's another one called "/target".

So I thought what the hell, went to reboot, and now it won't get past the VMware fake BIOS screen thing. It finishes that, and then just sits there with a non-blinking white underscore in the top left hand corner.

what the heck is going on? :unsure: Anyone else had this? Road?

I'm having problems setting up Ubuntu in VMware :( Downloaded VMware, downloaded Ubuntu 7.10, boots up fine into the live CD. Then I click install, did the steps etc, then when I came back (the installing thing did come up!), it sits there on the desktop of the live CD. The desktop icons are "examples" and "install", like normally, but then there's another one called "/target".

So I thought what the hell, went to reboot, and now it won't get past the VMware fake BIOS screen thing. It finishes that, and then just sits there with a non-blinking white underscore in the top left hand corner.

what the heck is going on? :unsure: Anyone else had this? Road?

Hmm, I dont use VMware anymore, but I did have trouble installing Ubuntu one time, it kept hanging up during install. I looked at the disc and it had some bad spots on it so I burned a new one and everything worked fine. I also had trouble with one of the older versions of Ubuntu when trying to install on a small hard drive with dual boot xp, I am not sure what was going on there I just formated the whole drive and installed native Ubuntu....

Mhh, maybe 2GB is too little disk space? *shrug* I'll try the native 8GB and see how it works. It can't be a bad CD, cause I was booting off of an image ;)

Yea I thought the same thing but after it hung during install about three times in the same place I looked at it and it had some kinda spots on the disc, a new one and it installed...

every time I install Ubuntu, I mess about trying to get the Samba share to work, it's the hardest part of the whole Linux SMP thing for me because I like to monitor using FahMon.

added a link to a nice easy, step-by-step guide that works (unlike the 500 other Samba guides that kinda half work or don't work at all!)

every time I install Ubuntu, I mess about trying to get the Samba share to work, it's the hardest part of the whole Linux SMP thing for me because I like to monitor using FahMon.

added a link to a nice easy, step-by-step guide that works (unlike the 500 other Samba guides that kinda half work or don't work at all!)

This is all thats needed...

Edit: Same one I use every time....