Folding Using The Linux SMP Client Under Windows

Nemo

• Replies 423
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Project 2605 (run6, clone 50, gen 5)

2605 in vmware on my E6600 @ 3.2ghz is running 11 min/percent. Ubuntu no vmware E6300 @ 2.95ghz 2605=13min/percent

Ubuntu no vmware pentium D 920 @ 3.55ghz 2605=20-21 min/percent

quick change of topic:

I have had a fair ammount of success running the server version of Ubuntu. It is command line only, so you will need to be able to deal with the command line stuff. The only part that was not covered in teh guide in the first post was how to untar/whatever the client, which can be eaisly solved wiht a little searching. The good news is you get to skip all the overhead that you have when running the desktop/gui verson.

If anyone wants a guide for this I can put one up.

quick change of topic:

I have had a fair ammount of success running the server version of Ubuntu. It is command line only, so you will need to be able to deal with the command line stuff. The only part that was not covered in teh guide in the first post was how to untar/whatever the client, which can be eaisly solved wiht a little searching. The good news is you get to skip all the overhead that you have when running the desktop/gui verson.

If anyone wants a guide for this I can put one up.

I have been running mine in the console or command I guess it is Ctrl+ Alt+ F1 on all of mine. I quit getting errors when I reduced the bus speed by 2 on all machines. Would the server be the same as that?

Last night around this time I went to check the new SMP machine and it would not come out of that black screen so I turned it off and back on and logged in to Ubuntu. Well it was finished with the WU and every time I would try to run folding it would freeze up. So I figured it must have been OC to much for Linux, it was fine in windows stable at 2940 or 50 I cant remember. Anyway I ended up reducing the OC and deleting the WU thinking it was corrupted. Well tonight the same thing, it had froze up again when it tried to send the results. Makes no sense the internet works fine with FF and all. So I went and got another wireless PCI card out of another machine and it sent with no problems, so I deleted a good WU last night 1760 points. :foldon:

everyone using the SMP client in VMWare should change the priority to Low:

vmwareprioritygk1.gif

the reasoning

VMWare has a default priority of "Normal"... if you run anything that has a lower priority than Normal then it will take FOREVER to run... an example is mp3 encoding, or ISO compression, or in fact ANYTHING that has lower priority than Normal... also you will almost certainly get stuttering in games if you leave VMWare's priority at Normal...

manually changing the priority to "Low" eliminates all these issues and is effectively the same as the original FAH client having a default process priority of "Idle"

10-4

but,

What affect does that have on folding performance?

Hey, How are you people getting EMiii to play nice with linux?

I finally have the networking setup so that I can access the right folders from windows. But EM complains that a network error has occurred. I have all the read/write permissions set correctly in samba afik.