Sign in to follow this  
jack_of_java

Replacement for EVGA 680i

Hmm, so far I have been happy with my asus p5wdh-deluxe, however I am going to possibly build a another core2duo system and i guess i'll try out the evga 680i board. Either way, if a board craps out I'll most likely leave it and not bother with RMA... and replace it.

Heck, I'd buy an evga dishwasher if they made one!! :lol:

:withstupid::lol:

I agree, EVGA kicks just about any manufacturer in terms of service!

Wow, I'm now impressed with their customer service. Yesterday morning (Sunday morning here), I put in an RMA request with the advanced cross thingy. It was approved yesterday evening! I already have the board out of the case and put in the box with a copy of the purchase receipt and the RMA number attached. All I need to do is call them today and get more info on shipping. By the way, the board was the T1 version. Is this one of the ones that has had problems?

So, if the RMA works out as fast as I think it's going to (meaning I might have a board by the end of the week), then I'll hold off on the DQ6 for now. Thanks for the input again. This is why I love coming here to talk shop and get answers.

If I were you I'd hold off on the DQ6 for now, no need for that if you got a sweet board already :)

I smell a EVGA Fan Boy :)

Call it whatever you like, but I have been nothing but impressed by their customer service. Things like personal emails from real people, phone calls from techs when the emails didn't get the problem solved, cross shipped motherboard replacements that didn't cost me a thing, etc. There are so many companies that are putting out reference design hardware that it would be easy for them to pass the buck on to someone else, but so far EVGA has stood up and taken care of me anytime I had a problem.

--WARNING, THE FOLLOWING MAY CONTAIN FANBOY CONTENT-- :D

I work in retail, have for a long time. Customer service is really hard to find anymore. And GOOD customer service is almost extinct. So when I find it, I like to let others know about it. I have not had any experience with, say Asus, but if I did have a good experience there I would let others know that too. I have no allegiance to evga, but they have treated me very well and I don't mind telling people that.

I had a BFG 7800gt(i think) some time ago, and had a problem with it, emailed bfg and got back the typical "we received you email, someone will get back to you" thing. That was probably a year or so ago. Still waiting for someone to get back to me! I don't know, I guess as I get older I really appreciate when someone else takes visible pride in what they are doing, and evga's treatment of me has proven to me that those guys really believe in what they are doing. They have given me the feeling that they are a bunch of geeks like me! They like to talk shop, and are willing to take an extra minute or two out of their day to make sure that I am a happy customer. If that makes me a fanboy, I'm okay with that!

I must agree, EVGA has awesome 24/7 customer support.

I have a 680i T1 and I believe if memory serves me correctly that it requires a specific ram type. Specifically DDR2 1200 (aka PC2 9600) which is what I'm running.

I got 4 gigs of Kingston HyperX DDR2 1200.

Granted the motherboard sets its own clock speeds and mhz by default so I just manually adjusted the 800 to 1200 and set the voltage up to 2.3 which is what Kingston recomends. Plus I had to set the timing to 5-5-5-15. I'm sure I could kick more out of it but what really for?

What I dont like however is that everytime I start up my computer I get a warning saying that my settings are set at unsafe levels or some such nonsense.

Every story I read about evga has been nothing but good. My next build is probably going to be all evga too.

I remember hearing all these horror stories about the 680i, all the more reason for me to get one and prove its usually noobs that screw up "enthusiast" level hardware :lol:

Well, you know how it goes. The people that get crap always whines the loudest. In actuality, all the horror stories amount to only about 5% of the overall installed base.

Still, you cant not expect hardware to DOA. It is what it is.

Every story I read about evga has been nothing but good. My next build is probably going to be all evga too.

i agree, my friend had a evga 6800 GT for agp and when he was doing some work in his case he somehow accidentally knocked off a ram chip , so he lightly glued it back and rmaed him, and evga sent him a 7900 gs since they had no more 6800 gs or something like that

I remember hearing all these horror stories about the 680i, all the more reason for me to get one and prove its usually noobs that screw up "enthusiast" level hardware :lol:

:lol: I agree though, everyone's whining about how it sucked, but that had nothing to do with EVGA, but with the 680i chipset being F-ed up by NVIDIA.

Everything has been replaced. Awesome EVGA tech support RMA'd my board and had it to me in about 2 days with the advanced RMA package (I think it cost me an extra $20 for overnight shipping). Either way, well worth it in my eyes. The board has been up and running rock solid since I had this problem. I'd recommend it to other "enthusiasts" as was stated.