Replacement for EVGA 680i

Well, seems that the memory controller failed within 30 days of using this mobo. I should have known better than to buy a mobo from a vid card company. Hopefully all of you with a good mobo will not have any of the problems I've had with it.

Anyways, I want to replace this motherboard with a different one. I've bought Asus and Gigabyte boards before and have had awesome results with them. So, what would you suggest for replacing this mobo with?

Gigabyte DQ6

or

Asus P5WDG2-WS PRO

Please refer to my other post about system components if you wish to know more.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

eVGA has nothing to do with it. Guess who designed 75% of the 680i boards out there, nVidia. All eVGA does is put the board together and stick there sticker on it.

Get an RMA, cross shipping is free. You'll have a new board within 3 days.

Edited by The Unforgivin

I like my GA 965P DQ6. It seems more stable than the DS3 but then again that could be because I have the E6600 on the DQ6 and E6300/E6400 on the DS3s. The Dq6 is supposed to be more stable though.

EDIT: eVGA is GREAT about RMAs, slap on teh stock stuff and youre good to go, or hell send the bare board and they'll just charge you to replace the stock coolers :lol:

Actually I sent back a 7900gt that a ram chip that...umm...fell...off...really, no light glueing of a ramsink that might have been a bit to much followed by heavy glueing of the ram chip back to the PCB for RMA...certainly not...

/EDIT

Well, I personally would love one of the 680i DQ6 boards, ASUS had the worst customer service EVER when I had to RMA my P5B-E, and I honestly cant think of any other instances of a 680i board's mem controller dieing so...my guess is your is just an unlucky situation. I now have two 680i boards, both from eVGA and the only issues I'm having are the strange stability and wierd BSODs occasionally. Even so I didnt think twice about buying this second one...idk the boards are great (though honestly the DS3 would ahve been my seconardy system choice had the option of a used evga board not happened)

The DQ6 you picked out is still however the board I WANT if it would fit my budget, but idk...you have a great board already...or will after RMA anyway.

Ok after reading your other post it matches perfectly with what mine does with my G.Skill ram, if it crashes after an OC (and it did on the first boot aswell) it set my ram voltage to 1.8 rather than the 1.9 that it does for most other ram rated for over 2.0, my G.Skill NQ WILL NOT function @ stock speeds with less than 1.9v and without the full rated 2.0v it's still a bit unstable. If you have any other DDR2 ram try it in the system.

One thing I HAVE been hearing alot about is 680i boards "killing ram" most of which seems to be peopel running 2.4v+ through their ram and watching it die I MAY have experenced that with the single ballistix stick i had die, but based on it's crappy performance early in its life I would say it was just a bad stick from the beginning, however I've now learned that anythign over 2.25v doesn't really help me anyway so the 2.35v it was at is useless :) Of course with your ram working in another system the good news is that didnt happen :D

I suppose that in short if it was me I would give evga another shot with the RMA, but if not DQ6 and an empty wallet will be fun (even if it is massive overkill (overkill as in things I want, and would find a way to use in order to justify my purchase :lol:) on features).

Edited by cchalogamer

As you saw from my other post, this whole comp is overkill! As far as the ram, I've tried it at 1.8, 1.85, 1.9, 1.95, and 2.0v. None of those worked. I had another set of 667 1gb sticks and tried them. Those didn't work as well. I put the GSkill memory in another computer and it read it no problem. Even mem test came out perfect. The 680i board will now only read memory in dimm3, and it even errors 9/10 times and hangs at C1 or 1D. It is so inconsistent, that I believe from what I read at the Evga forums, that it is due to a bad memory controller. There are several people out there with this problem. I've tried updating the bios to P28, and no luck. It actually seemed to make it worse (had P26 before).

And to note those that said don't blame evga. I don't necessarily blame them, but I think they should do better as far as marketing and customer service. If a board is known to have problems as much as these are, then why keep selling them? They seem to be RMA'ing about half of the boards they sold. I would define that as a defective product, and try to remove the boards that are known defectives (by revision, etc).

I am now running the ASUS P5W DH

I have gone through "5" (yes that is five!!) EVGA 680i motherboards

One worked in a purchased system I built

3 doa's and one lasted a week

The last one I rma'd is on its way back to me now and will be sold as soon as it arrives

I am not an electrical engineer, but in my amateur opinion I would have to say this board has major flaw and design issues that should have been tested and dealt with long before this product was allowed to be retailed.

NVidea has basically used the consumer in place of a proper benchmarking run and I wouldn't be surprised if they end up in litigation due to their misfeasance.

Unfortunately EVGA is biting it big on this one as they are the retailer but I guess it all comes down to whether they make a better buck at selling a defective product and dealing with the fallout or submitting a recall :glare:

The last one I rma'd is on its way back to me now and will be sold as soon as it arrives

I am not an electrical engineer, but in my amateur opinion I would have to say this board has major flaw and design issues that should have been tested and dealt with long before this product was allowed to be retailed.

NVidea has basically used the consumer in place of a proper benchmarking run and I wouldn't be surprised if they end up in litigation due to their misfeasance.

Unfortunately EVGA is biting it big on this one as they are the retailer but I guess it all comes down to whether they make a better buck at selling a defective product and dealing with the fallout or submitting a recall :glare:

must suck to have been that unlucky....mines one of the original ones that were supposed to have the major system corruption issues but its been running almost 24/7 with a e6600 at 3.4ghz on stock voltage. not one hint of stability problems with this one.

Another horror story brought to you by ASUS MB. Hmm...

I bought one of the evga 680i AR series boards some time back. It behaved pretty well, but had some ps/2 issues(keyboard stuck key sounds ingame, etc), but all-in-all a good board. When evga offered the free cross ship replacement to the A1 series board, I jumped on it. This board is AWESOME! Running my week 29 e6600 at 3435 at 1.264(VID at 1.3 in the BIOS) with my corsair ddr-800 at 1008 with NO problem. Orthos stable, gaming stable, real world stable, no more ps/2 problem, and still working on the overclock. RMA it for an A1 revision.

And like everyone else said--IT'S NOT EVGA'S FAULT!! The original boards(AR and TR series) were designed by nvidia, manufactured by foxconn and distributed by evga--and ecs and everybody else. Evga is the only one that I know of that redesigned the board to fix the problem and offered a FREE cross ship rma to their customers. That kind of cutomer service is almost impossible to come by anymore. If it comes down to an evga branded product or another brand of the same product I'll go for the evga for that reason alone, not to mention they make good stuff. Heck, I'd buy an evga dishwasher if they made one!! :lol: