Mineral Oil Cooled PC

Well, I just posted a new News Item about it, but I thought it was cool, so I'm going to post it in here as well so I can talk about it a bit.

The mineral oil aquarium alone had an incredible ability to absorb heat into the oil, and for that reason, this is a great setup for periods of load less than 12 hours long. As long as you give it some cool down time, it runs some great temperatures. We do want to stress that at no time was the system unstable, ever....which was surprising! It doesn't seem too much a stretch to expect that you wouldn't put a typical computer under load for more than 12 hours...after all, even gamers have to sleep! With that taken into account, this setup as it is could serve as a great, eye catching way to cooling your computer.

Here is a more detailed description of the project from the Puget site.

Submerged002.jpg

I think it looks really cool, especially with the bubbles going through it.

It does seem a lot more practical than other oil based projects I've seen as well.

The temperatures aren't anything to write home about (I doubt you'd want to fold on this thing), but for a system that isn't put under full load for long periods it looks like it would be pretty good.

If I ever have the money I wanna build something like this, but I wanna use that liquid (the really expensive stuff) that is really good a dissipating heat and is 100% non-conductive...

It would be so cool, to have a completely submersed PC that was actually overclocked and got nice temperatures.

You could get a cooler for the oil. The idea is a good one but i really dont see it being all that practicle even if you dont game more than 12 hours... Looks like a pain to do anything, change parts, and what if something fails? It just looks like a big mess to me :P

Changing / messing with stuff must be awful........you have to open it, take out all the oil stuff, add the new thing, put all the oil back in. Then you find out you didn't put it in 100% right and start all over ^^

What are the specs? This may be a stupid question, but what game is that on the monitor? That is really cool though, one of the better submerged pc's I've seen.

That is the 3D Mark 2006 bench ;)

Saw this on Digg... it's a neat concept - a bit impractical though. Saw some comments saying that the oil would damage the caps in the long term... dunno if that's true though. I like bubbles :)

Changing / messing with stuff must be awful........you have to open it, take out all the oil stuff, add the new thing, put all the oil back in. Then you find out you didn't put it in 100% right and start all over ^^

I don't think it looks as bad as that. They used a motherboard tray which looks like it isn't too much hassle to remove. I don't see why you would have to take the oil out either.

I would think that fans in that liquid would not work or work very poorly.

Yes, they weren't sure if it would affect the lifetime of the fans as they obviously have more resistance to push against and turn very slowly.

They are going to report back after a few months of running with any issues that may have developed.

What are the specs?

E6600

OCZ 2Gb DDR2 800

nVidia 650i Ultra

8600GT

74Gb Raptor (external though)

I would suggest watching the video in either of the links if you haven't already.

And of course it's more impractical than an air cooled case.

I think this is more for a bit of an interesting visual effect than anything else (plus it should be pretty quiet submerged)

Edited by jammin

I would think that fans in that liquid would not work or work very porly.

Yea, they would have to work harder, although they would be very well lubricated! This is very cool by the way.