Mobo: DFI INFINITY P965-S

VGA: eVGA GeForce 8800GTS 320mb

Memory: 2x 1gb G.Skill DDR2 800 4-4-4-12

Processor: Intel C2D E4300 Allendale

CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Big Typhoon

PSU: OCZ GameXStream OCZ600GXSSLI ATX12V 600W

HDD: 1x WD 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s

Monitor: Acer X192Wbd Black 19" 5ms DVI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 1000:1

So far I got everything at my place and now I just pre-ordered that DFI mobo today, releases on Monday. I'm temped to just plug in that 8800GTS and test it on out on my rig :D

Total cost was around $1,400.

Edited by Krazyxazn

DFI makes some great boards, but they may tend to be a bit mean for a first-timer. DFI is for serious, experienced overclockers. Start him out with an ASUS P5B Deluxe. The HSF supplied with the CPU should be fine, otherwise go with a Zalman CNPS 9700. You may encounter space problem with the BIG TYPHOON. They tend to collide with the NB and some heatsinks, on some boards. That's a big hard drive. They don't work all that well for gaming. A couple of smaller Seagates will be better. Big hard drives collect heat badly gaming. Rest should be OK. Be sure your G.SKILL is the HZs. Good luck.

Guest ecthlipsis

Hmm.. pretty high price for the gear to be honest with you. I spent about $1,000 on my rig (see my signature), but I did wait for deals, so that makes sense. Where did you purchase all that from, by the way?

As others have said, DFI is not a user-friendly board. If he wants to OC on it, be prepared for a few headaches and a lot of work as they really are made for really experienced PC builders. The BIOS have about every option a hardcore user could ever want, but will be mind boggling for someone not even familiar with what BIOS are.

The rest of the gear is nice starting equipment, and he should definitely be able to get a feel for PC's and PC gaming from it. Keep us informed of how it goes.

On a side note, I'd really consider having him step-up (it is EVGA) to a 640MB card at least, as the 320MB will probably need an upgrade before too terribly long. That's just what I would do, and actually I plan to step-up to the GTX soon.

Big hard drives collect heat badly gaming.

A highly dubious claim if ever I saw one, I have 6 harddrives in my rig, 4 of which are right next to each other, and the max temperature is 35

Guest ecthlipsis

You're going to show him how to build it, too, right? If not it's just about the same as him custom ordering a Dell as far as what he'll learn ;)

Nah, I have exp in building PCs. Basically, I am ordering all this stuff for him and going to personally show him how to do everything. From setting the PC parts up to overclocking. Been there done that. It's a gift from his parents for graduation. What do I get out of it? Testing out this 8800GTS is all the enjoy I need until all his parts gets here :D.

I personally own a DFI and to me its very user-friendly. I was a total noob when I first bought my rig and it cost nearly the same price as his. I only recently OC'd my X2 3800+ and that was as simple as 1-2-3.

@ HDD issue. I was originally going to raid with that 250 gb, but since its his parents money, I didn't want to overdo it. I doubt HDD heat will cause a problem.

OCing it should be pretty easy, my friend built a similar PC a month ago and it was a good success. He originally had the Gigabyte board, but he had a lot of issues with it and regrets buying it. CMOS keeps reseting so he loses the OC settings. Happened at least twice.

Edited by Krazyxazn

• 2 weeks later...

Yahoo it took so dang long and now I ran into another snag. The PSU uses a 20 pin connector when the motherboard is a 24 pin. I only have a 24 to 20 pin connector :P. So I just ordered a new adapter for him. Everything is fit and snug inside the case. TT Big Typhoon fit just nicely inside the case. I routed all the used and unused wires. I just have to wait for that 20 to 24 pin adapter to come in.