AMD Athlon Cpu

i recentley aquired a motherboard from a friend and the cpu is a amd athlon the socket 462 now i only recall this cpu been for the 939 boards if i bought a 939 board would this cpu work?

the black sticker on the cpu says

AMD Athlon

AXDA3000DKV4D Z315653109444

AQZEA0340VPAW 1999 AMD

I'm very curious. You said the chip came out of a socket 462 board. Therefore, you know what kind of socket it goes to. So why would you think it'd fit a 939? That just doesn't make any sense to me.

It looks like a 3000+ Barton alright. The 3000+ name has been used on 462, 754, 939, and even AM2. Just because they share a name doesn't mean they can share a socket :)

athlon xp 3000+ 333mhz fsb. socket 462 / A. 512k L2 cache. Barton core.

in other words you "thinking" it's 939 and "knowing" it's 939 (which I have no idea what in the heck you were getting at there) are both wrong.

The cpu is a amd athlon the socket 462 now i only recall this cpu been for the 939 boards.

The Athlon name has been used since the P3 era, first with their Athlon classics, then with their Athlon XPs and then Finally with the Athlon FXs...

Socket A is socket 462, so you were right anyway :)

Aye I know, but I didn't notice it, which would have saved the bother of "guessing" at the socket, although it seemed fairly obvious.