Sound Card Not Working Under XP

hndgns4hrts

Alright, my parents have a prebuilt Sony Vaio PC, now my dad is big on music and had me upgrade the sound card around 6 months ago, everything was going great until about two weeks ago. Then whenever the computer is turned on, the first program that is opened the sound will work fine, (IE. boot up -> open iTunes ((iTunes will work fine))) Now after that program uses the sound, the sound card disapears from my computer, and won't work.

Just shows "No Audio Devices"

The sound card is a Creative Sound Blaster XtremeGamer, I've reinstalled the drivers, software everything. I even RMA'd the card, got the new one, same problem, so I tried the onboard sound, still the same problem.

Any ideas short of reinstalling Windows?

With a problem that odd I'd just backup and reinstall Windows. It generally takes far longer to hunt down the cause rather than just starting from scratch.

Guest ecthlipsis
With a problem that odd I'd just backup and reinstall Windows. It generally takes far longer to hunt down the cause rather than just starting from scratch.

I think I'd have to agree. That is just plain strange. Never heard of anything like that before. Of course... you've updated the drivers, right?