Sign in to follow this  
Fireonice

Command and Conquer 3 vs supreme comander

I dont want to buy both but i want to pick one :). I'm more interested in online play and probably wont even bother with the campaign, i like to jump right into multiplayer :D. So what game has the better multiplayer community, im very tempted to not even concider command and conquer 3 beucase of EA and the troubles iv had with EA, would be very mad if i couldnt play beucase of EA.

So excluding the campaign what game is better for online play?

That's an incredibly tough question...those two games are extremely different.

I only have C&C 3, but that totally kicks @$$!!! Best game outta the C&C series, multiplayer games can be compared to Generals (I mean the amount of action), and EA is fine for me.

I have both games but they are so different I can't really compare. Have you played both before? The demos perhaps???

I would say Supreme Commander. I've played the C&C games since the first one, and C&C3 just didn't jive with me.

Well disgard everything but multiplayer, as that is all that im interested in. What game has more people playing online? Clans,ect.

Supreme Commander will be the better one if you like playing against good players that know strategy. C&C 3 seems to have a lot more people that just tank rush over and over.

I have C&C3, and I LOVE it! However, I just cant play it.... It crashes so often on my machine that I have given up with it.

My system is more than the min spec, and I run NOTHING but the game, and it just crashes all the time. From the Desktop crash, to crashes that require a hard reboot.

I just lost my patients with it. Having said that, my house mate runs it on a much lower spec machine, at min/med settings, and has only had one or two problems with it.

If EA patch it up good, it 100% recommend it. I really like how it plays, the units are nice and the balance seems to be pretty good. (Unlike Generals Zero Hour....)

I haven't played either yet, so I can't speak from personal experience, but I can provide you with a few professional reviews.

First I'd suggest playing the demos for both games, just to at least give you a feel for the games.

As for multiplayer, PC Gamer reviewed C&C3 in the April 2007 issue and had great things to say about it's MP.

C&C 3 offers the same multiplayer action you'll find in every other C&C game: up to eight players, free-for-all mode, team games, and minor modifiers like starting cash and random bonus boxes spawning on the map. But what's truly innovative is EA's attempt to turn RTS gameplay into a legitimate spectator sport. Players are able -- and encouraged -- to "broadcast" their multiplayer matches online; these matches can then be viewed in real time (or with optional anti-cheating tape-delay) by anyone who visits the game's hubsite, including people who don't own the game but have downloaded the free (ad-supported) observer client.

As a crowning touch to the "RTS as a sport" feel, one or more commentators can join the game (provided there's a free observer slot) and describe events as they happen over voice chat, sportscaster-style, and even use telestrator paint tools to circle areas of interest on the map. While this feature is totally ripe for abuse by every griefer on the Net, a few really good announcers will likely earn reputations as sought-after analysts, thanks to players' ability to rank the performance of commentators (and other players, for that matter) at the end of each game. I watched a 20-minute commentated playback of a game between two members of the development team that was genuinely entertaining. It's a fantastic way to not only draw in new players, but also to teach beginners new tricks and to build excitement around games between top players. All of these broadcast matches -- voiceover and telestrator marks included -- will be stored on EA servers for posterity.

C&C 3's web interface also allows you to schedule matches days or weeks in advance, manage clans and tournaments, and read up on game news and developer and player blogs. Don't be scared off by the fact that it's web-based -- the technology has come a long way in recent years, and this site works more like an application than a web page. Props to EA for creating the best multiplayer interface to date.

I added the highlighting at the end there, because if your main reason for steering clear of the game is because of EA, you have nothing to worry about there it seems. In the rest of the review, they talk about how the game focuses on quick action, which they do mention may be too frantic for some people.

Here's PC Gamer's review of SupCom's MP:

Multiplayer matches can range from a quick 20-minute skirmish against one opponent with tech level 1 bots on a small map, all the way up to an epic three-hour clash of the titans on a massive map with a total of eight players. The latter are great fun, with mighty war machines skirmishing at each others' boarders, looking for an opportunity to strike a lethal blow. These games have a real ebb and flow to them, and are often worth watching again with SupCom's replay feature, either to relive your victory or see exactly how your enemy bested you.

Some of the 40 maps available are so large that even the fastest units will take several minutes to travel their distance and planes can't make the trip without stopping to refuel. And with up to eight players, each commanding up to 500 units, the proceedings can get hectic.

SupCom's GPGNet multiplayer interface provides one-button auto-matching based on your stats, ladders, and clan-friendly features. Options, like victory conditions (who cares if your ACU blows up?) and unit caps, can be tweaked to keep the gameplay fresh. To ensure limitless customization, SupCom also has a built-in mod manager to easily swap in what I'm certain will be dozens, if not hundreds, of mods.

The only thing that bugs me about the game's multiplayer matches is this: Though the three factions differ widely in looks, most of their units behave exactly the same despite minotr speed or damage-value differences, and truly unique units are few and far between. For example, each faction has a light tank, a heavy tank, and attack sub, a battleship, a regular bomber, a strategic bomber, etc. My preference to playing as the Cybrans is largely based on their experimental unit selection.

As for SupCom, one thing to keep in mind is it's a real resource hog. It looks like you're running a single-core cpu, and PC Gamer says it'll "make single-core CPUs cry." They say that "A dual-core processor is practically required to get decent frame rates in large-scale battles." If you plan on upgrading though, disregard this warning...and if you have dual-monitors, it should also be noted that the game supports them in a unique way.

Again, I'd recommend playing the demos first. Then maybe check out the C&C3 site and see if you like the interface, maybe even downloading the observer client and watching a few matches.

Hope I helped. I spent all that time typing those reviews, so even if I didn't, say I did so I feel better, lol ;)

I played both, a lot.

Supreme Commander was very easy to start and just play, easy interface. I still like the original Rise of Nations compared to both of them, but out of the two I'd have to give it to Supreme Commander.

I own C&C3 and I enjoy it very much. I just wish there were more units to build like in previous C&Cs. Overall, it's enjoyable. I haven't played the campaign section either. I enjoy the multiplayer aspect of it. I wish Westwood was still making C&C :angry2: . But still a great game.