Some ideas

Well, my current rig, in sig, is starting to show its age :rolleyes: most of my computers dont last a year, heh

i also think its time to say goodbye to my current lan rig (3200+ winnie, 1gb corsair, cheap asus mb, 7800gtx)

so what does this mean. well, my current rig is to become my lan rig, but whatever shall i do for a main rig?

im thinking about hopping on the c2d bandwagon, and with quotes like this from fueler "Ordered ....built ....running.....Folding away......Check the OC forums ......these chips kick a** cool.gif" i think its a safe bet haha

so far what i have planned is:

eVGA 680i lt sli $190 at newegg

eVGA 8800gts 640 $389 at newegg

c2d 6420 $189 at newegg

G.skill ddr2 800 145

keeping my Armor and psu and hdds

my question is about the ram, i mainly put that in as a price guideline. im a total nub at intel Ocing, and ddr2 ocing. what speed would you suggest?

i might move the current setup to a micro board, then put the ultra D down to some cardboard with a 4000+ for 65 bucks as a folding rig, but thats still up in the air

the only thing that has me concerned, is Barcelona. so many rumors, i dont know if i should hold off or not.

naa, you'll be alright with the 8800GTS! That looks like a real nice upgrade, however that 7900GTX should still be enough to run most games with. I would consider keeping that for now and then sometime in the future when prices drop and other nice cards come out buy a new one.

hehe, the vid card upgrade is a bad habit of mine. i know the 7900 is still a great card, im quite glad i got it. heh, im just glad i never bought the 7800gtx 512 version

Looks like a pretty good build. I have to say that I think buying an 8800GTS is a pretty big waste if you're sitting on a 7900GTX already. Why buy now? The raw performance difference is probably very little, and the DX10 on the 8 series still does you no good. Save your cash man. Buy DX10 when you need it, and you'll get more for your dollar.

Also, with the parts you listed above, I'd drop the video card to the 320 version and get an E6600 with the savings. Most people are saying that the 640MB doesn't really make any difference, but the extra speed from the E6600 sure will.

thanks for the info verran. i actually just started reading up on the 320mb versions, and if i was to get one now, i could get another later for sli, they seem to outperform 1 8800GTX pretty easily in most benches.

if i keep the 7900, thats quite a lot of money im saving. ill most likely go that route, but maybe theres a lottery ticket with my name on it :

edit: i just looked at some benches, and although the 8800 320 does outperform the 7900gtx, its not by a great margin, especially not a 280 dollar margin!

my 7900GTX gives me more then adequate performance on my current setup, i can only imagine what happens with an E6600!

now that im on a money saving spree, and have some extra cash, i was thinking, maybe the 680i non lt board, but when i checked out newegg, there are three different flavors!

there is the EVGA 122-CK-NF63-TR aka, 680i SE which is 154 dollars, oddly cheaper then the 680i lt board

the EVGA 122-CK-NF68-T1 which as far as i can tell, just has ddr2 1200 as a standard, rather then ddr2 800 and is 214 before rebate

the EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 which as far as i can tell, just has chipset fans over the 68-T1, and is 239

:blink:

now that im on a money saving spree, and have some extra cash, i was thinking, maybe the 680i non lt board, but when i checked out newegg, there are three different flavors!

there is the EVGA 122-CK-NF63-TR aka, 680i SE which is 154 dollars, oddly cheaper then the 680i lt board

the EVGA 122-CK-NF68-T1 which as far as i can tell, just has ddr2 1200 as a standard, rather then ddr2 800 and is 214 before rebate

the EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 which as far as i can tell, just has chipset fans over the 68-T1, and is 239

:blink:

680i Vanilla

Vanilla A1=Same board as T1, except with all the accessories

Vanilla T1=Same board as A1, fewer accessories

680i LT (Lite)

LT A1= Different board than the Vanillas (No heat pipe, no 3rd PCI-E slot, less bells and whistles(Basically a Vanilla board with all the bells and whistles removed)) All accessories

LT T1= Same as LT A1, fewer accessories

My vote goes to the 680i LT as it is cheaper and should OC just as well as the Vanilla version, the A1/T1 just denotes accessories. They are all the same boards (Save the LT which uses the same reference design, once again, all the extras removed), with a flash of the BIOS (They all use the same BIOS) they can support 1333/1066/800 FSB and DDR2 1200 (See evga website for yourself). You can blame newegg for not updating anything.

Avoid the SEs, they are pretty much the older ARs and TRs which got replaced by the A1s and T1s. They don't OC as well as the newer versions, especially with quad cores as well had a few bugs. They're just trying to get rid of them.

Edited by The Unforgivin