Is it possible to run 2 internet connections?

Dija

Hey guys I'm moving to a new area and I can only get DSL there. I was wondering if it'd be possible to have two lines running to get combined speeds? It doesn't seem logical but I thought it might be possible? Anyone know or have some information?

Thanks much

People used to do something similar with 56k but Ive never heard of it being done with DSL. But, this looks like something that might work. Its a linux boot cd which uses a computer as a router to tie both lines together. I didnt take too far a look into it.

http://www.upstreaminter.net/bondedcd.shtml

Seems like this would require a spare computer to act as the router.

Thanks

If anyone has any more ideas or perhaps a solution thats a bit simpler please let me know.

2 Ethernet jacks on the computer then select both in the networking properties and choose bridge connections?

Network adapters that previously appeared under LAN or High-Speed Internet, appear under Network Bridge when they are added as connections. Network adapters that provide Internet connectivity, such as DSL and cable modems, cannot be bridged and will always appear under LAN or High-Speed Internet.

I may not be interpreting right but that is taken from the microsoft website.

yea you could get this.

But I'm not sure if the dsl provider will allow 2 at the same residence....you will need two physical phone drops from the pole. It wont work by using one line...check with the dsl company first.

yea you could get this.

But I'm not sure if the dsl provider will allow 2 at the same residence....you will need two physical phone drops from the pole. It wont work by using one line...check with the dsl company first.

True, I was hoping for something other than load balancing. I have been doing some reading and it doesn't seem possible to have combined speed through one connection. Also I have read that it increases latency. Anybody have experience with the latency increases?

I am currently on 8/1 cable and I'd like to have even more than that upstream. There just doesn't seem to be a reasonable solution with the exception of fios and its about 200 miles north :(

Edited by Dija

It takes a very nice router/switch to do load balancing like that.

I have a Cisco 48 port switch that does it, but it cost over $4k. :P

Even if you could get them to tie together, how could you download one file at high speed? I could see it working for something that consists of many files, or BT, but how would you get your source to split up things and send them to two different IPs. Maybe download managers can split stuff up...

You would need to separate dsl accounts, two separate lines, and a dual wan router. Xincom makes a good one that isn't as expensive as the nice cisco one bigred mentioned.

btw, avoid the d-link one posted earlier like the devil. :P lol