Mobo setting voltage on it's own?

I have my 680i voltages all set to "auto." But when I look at nTune and CPU-Z, it shows higher than stock voltages. Is it setting them by itself?

untitledti7.th.jpg

Guest ecthlipsis
That a bad thing?

It can be actually. My 650i board was "auto" selecting 1.47v for the vcore... a little... lot... high. It seemed to scale the voltage to my FSB overclock. Thus, it seemed to be "thinking" like "oh, well if he wants the FSB at 325mhz then he must want X voltage". I'd hate to see what auto would have selected for a huge overclock, as 1.47v is already pushing it in my opinion. I changed it to manual and have a perfectly stable OC at 1.36v, which is also much safer.

I avoid ntune and nv monitor, it tells me that my chipset fan is running at 10,000 RPM, that stock voltages are "red."

I have ntune uninstalled at the moment, not looking back either. Set everything in the BIOS manually and I'm alright.

Edited by The Unforgivin

Most bios now seem to do this my commando vcore for example scales as u oc. Only thing u need to watch is they tend to overuse voltage. on mine if i use auto i can back it of a couple of notches from what auto sets & still have a stable oc.

It does seem a little sneaky if motherboards are bumping voltage up if you alter other settings.

However, I personally think if you are doing any OCing you shouldn't be leaving things on auto settings anyway.

(Sure, maybe some more obscure settings, but voltages are pretty straightforward generally)