lego's back again

suchuwato

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's with the big secrecy with this site? Did it have some kind of competitive relationship with occ or something? Or are you guys just being mysterious because you think it's cool?
occ staff member left & created his own tech site

several occ members followed, semi-bad blood ensued

said site couldn't support itself & is now shut down

now the members who left for that site are coming back one by one (i think most of them are back now, lego was a straggler) :P

They are talking about the site that I created (TechRelated.com), and operated for a bit over a year.

The story is more like this:

- d3bruts1d resigns as a staff member because he 1) wanted to see OCC become more, and 2) got tired of the lack of communication from LinuXProX.

- Months pass

- d3bruts1d starts work on his own technology related site.... something similar yet different.

- Bad blood develops between d3 and LP, which results in d3 being banned from OCC.... still to this day I have no idea why, other than to assume it was because of my site.

- During that time, Bosco took over and hired some much needed help... unbanned me (two times IIRC) and got some more help around the forums, which included a number of people that shouldn't have ever been staff.

- New OCC staff members piss and/or off a number of members, of which I tried to defend a couple of while at the same time ____ slapping a few of the staff... which I later apologized privately to Bosco for.

- Pissed off members look for some other place, and a few come to the site I created.

- A current OCC staff member or two and some normal OCC members make unwanted posts resulting in flame wars on both sides

- OCC DB issues piss off a number of members, who go elsewhere.

- LP sells OCC some point in here, and some of the OCC staff is trimmed (while others are added).

- Other members trickle in as they are referred by friends

- TR ads appear on OCC and a number of other sites via Google Ads resulting in tension only between OCC and me.

- Site continues to grow over a year, during which time we (my wife and I) purchase a house and run into cash issues

- Unable to devote the time or cash needed to maintain the site, I made the unfortunate decision to shut the site down

- With the site no longer in operation, members look to go elsewhere... including back to OCC.

Was it a site to compete with OCC? Sure it was just as [H], BA, VO, Blue's News, GameSpy, Digg, etc. are all on some level in competition with OCC. It wasn't intended to be an OCC-killer, it was just created as a semi-unrestricted community where people could discuss technology and other things that interested them.... in short, I was making the site that for years I had tried to make OCC into, but because I couldn't get LP to communicate or give me any real power, I was unable to do. While being like OCC, it was still much, much different.

Some people can only handle a couple of forums at a time (me and lego are examples), while others ClayMeow are everywhere. The people that became less active were seen by some as being anti-OCC even though that wasn't the case. Heck, even I posted here a few times during the whole time frame.

Edited by d3bruts1d

As far as I am concerned its all water under the bridge.

I have spoken to D3 about what happened a while ago and things were put to rest then. As for D3 being banned that was before my time and at the start of me taking over which I had corrected.

But I am not about to have us all go over the past and get heated and start throwing insults around. Whats done is done time to move on, D3 knows that he any everyone else is welcome here anytime.

Case Closed.

What happed to the Pirate lego?

Erm... I wanted to go back to colour - he may return at some point though :P

They are talking about the site that I created (TechRelated.com), and operated for a bit over a year.

Some people can only handle a couple of forums at a time (me and lego are examples), while others ClayMeow are everywhere. The people that became less active were seen by some as being anti-OCC even though that wasn't the case. Heck, even I posted here a few times during the whole time frame.

:withstupid: I still love OCC, I didn't make a conscious decision to leave, it just kinda happened.

As far as I am concerned its all water under the bridge.

But I am not about to have us all go over the past and get heated and start throwing insults around. Whats done is done time to move on, D3 knows that he any everyone else is welcome here anytime.

Case Closed.

:withstupid: Exactly :)

• 1 month later...