Better Quieter cooling?

Hi Guys,

Im not happy with the noise level or cooling performance I have setup atm. I realise that this is probably a lot to do with my case.

My case is a BeanTech, I forget which model. Its all aluminium, but only has 3 fan slots. 2x 80mm in the front, 1 x 80 mm in the back.

I cant fit bigger fans in either location. I don't have the tools to do that sort of cutting.

I have an XP-90 with Pan flow fan mounted on an MSI K8N Neo 2 Platinum, cooling an FX-57

Idle it runs at about 40-43 degrees C, Load it runs about 48-50 degrees C. NOT HAPPY with that!

I have an X1950PRO AGP with Arctic Cooling Accelero X2 that runs about 40-41 Idel, and about 50-55 Load. That sounds ok for a graphics card to me?

I am willing to spend around

Tuniq Tower 120

or the Thermal Right Si-128

Both of which are pretty huge, but you shouldn't encounter any compatibility issues due to there design. Both HSs can be traded out with a quieter fan too like your XP-90.

Bigger heatsinks generally mean less airflow due to increased surface area which means greater heat dissipation.

But water cooling does seem the way to go here, which I know nothing about; You may want hear some feedback from hardnrg in that matter if you do decide to go water. But quiet cooling on air using the above heatsinks should be doable.

Edited by The Unforgivin

Im considering the Si-128 :)

Also been looking at the HR-05, but I don't think it would fit my MB.

However I reckon the HR-05 SLI would fit, anybody tried this??

From the engineering point of view...

1) As has been said before " a quiet case is not a good cverclocker candidate" Reason: Cooling is a direct function of the Lbs./min. flow not CFM although they are related. In order to increase the flow at fixed conditions,ie,Temp. & Pressure,it is necessary to increase fan speed. This will increase the noise level as noise is a function of blade tip speed and efficiency.

Things that you can do:

a) cool the inlet air with an A/C

b) Use a liquid system to move the heat outside the case where you can use a larger fan and radiator to transfer the heat to the surounding air.

c) Drill many small holes in the case and install a suction fan on the outside of the case. Not pretty but will increase the flow at little increase in noise level.

d) Change the heat sinks from AL. to Cu this will increase the heat transfer rate for a given surface area of the sink fins and sink fan flow.

Remember: You must remove all the energy you put into the case or the Temp. will continue to rise until equalibrium is reached. Its like gaining weight,The more calories you eat the more you must excerise to keep your weight constant!

Regards,PGS

Got the HR-05 SLI and Si-128 + a 120mm fan adapter for my 80mm rear fan.

Installed both fine this morning. Much quieter, and by the look of it, my CPU temp is down! :D

Cheers guys!

80mm fans???

YUCK...

find a case or mod that one so you can use QUALITY 120mm fans (not cheapos) and then put them on a rheostat.....

:withstupid:

Get a case that uses 120mm fans. They'll move more air and make less noise. 80mm fans are so 2004 :P

I really like the case I have, so there is no way I am getting rid of it. All Aluminium, removable MB tray, custom key switch etc.

I got a 120mm in the back now, and 2 x 80mm in the front. I cant get rid of the 2x 80s :(

I already have a fan controller, both 80s are at minimum rpm.

My case is alot quieter, but I am gonna try work on it abit more, get the noise down till Im 100% happy.

The thing about a 120mm-capable case is not so much the silence. It's a nice biproduct of a bigger fan, but the real benefit in your situation is the increased airflow. You can upgrade your CPU cooler all day, but if you're not flowing enough air to and from it, then it may not do any good. A case with bigger fans will cycle more air to keep ambient temps lower, which improves the performance of any cpu cooler.

• 3 weeks later...

100 pounds thats quite a lot. Buy a new case for example from Thermaltake(around 40-50pounds) and then something for your CPU.

Ive got Thermaltake Bigwater. My advice: Dont buy water cooling system. Thats waste of money.

Ive got Thermaltake Bigwater. My advice: Dont buy water cooling system. Thats waste of money.

That's because of your WC setup. There was a recent topic here, totally forgot what it was called, and everyone was bashing the TT bigwater setup. WC is worth the money if your heat problems are very severe. It costs much more than air cooling, requires more maintenance and the risk of water and electronics mixing is always present but it will keep your temps nice and stable and low if your setup is good. Don't cheap out on your cooling or it'll come back to bite you in the ***!

Check out dangerden.com They've got some sweet WC stuff over there.