No Dual Channel =*(

Guest ecthlipsis

Guest ecthlipsis

Is there anyway to run dual channel in Vista 32-Home Premium? If I load my sticks in DC I get a blue screen of death to greet me instead of Windows. Any ideas? And yes, I updated my mobo drivers but of course, and updated Windows as well.

There shouldn't be a issue with dual channel in vista as mine runs fine in dual channel. I'm sure you have 4 ram slots and all should run dual channel, example 2 is color coded and other two or black {not for sure on your mobo} but try the other two channels and see.If that doesn't work check your ram timmings and voltageMight be on 1t try 2t etc.As i had a big issue my motherboard was way undervolting my ram.Good Day.

Edited by KILLER_K

You don't really think that a feature like dual channel ram would be unsupported in a brand new operating system, do you?

The problem is not Vista. If Vista really didn't support dual channel, the entire internet would be exploding with complaints. The problem is probably hardware. Have you tried each memory stick individually? Maybe one of them is bad. Or maybe you're not loading the proper slots on your board (check the manual).

Were the other two slots the same color? Sounds like it. Anyway, the other two slots were probably the secondary dual channel slots. Most motherboards want you to have the two sticks of ram in the primary slots (In your case, the black slots). The other slots still probably work, they just aren't the primary memory slots.

Guest ecthlipsis

Correction, dual channel is still dead. The black slots that I thought worked (2 and 4) booted just fine etc, but I later noticed that looking in CPU-Z that it was only reading 1gb of ram. I took the sticks out and only the one in slot 2 was warm, the other was not being used at all. Both sticks work fine alone, both sticks work fine in SC... why the hell won't it DC? Anyone got any other ideas?

Also, about how large of a performance hit should I be expecting if I'm forced to run SC instead? I hear it is pretty substantial...

Guest ecthlipsis

Perhaps a moderator could move this post to hardware as well? It doesn't seem related to Vista like I originally thought.

I knew Vista had problems loading on 2gb of ram (like it did on mine), but this DC issue seems unrelated.

have you tried using slots 1&3 instead of 2&4? how about setting the voltages/timings manually? i haven't had any issues with 2x1GB in Vista.... do you dual boot to XP or another OS, and it works in the other one(s), but fails in Vista?

it really sounds like a hardware issue to me too, I can't see how the OS would affect the dual-channel operation or memory recognition of 2x1GB sticks

have you tried using slots 1&3 instead of 2&4? how about setting the voltages/timings manually? i haven't had any issues with 2x1GB in Vista.... do you dual boot to XP or another OS, and it works in the other one(s), but fails in Vista?

it really sounds like a hardware issue to me too, I can't see how the OS would affect the dual-channel operation or memory recognition of 2x1GB sticks

I don't dual boot, and I have never tried these sticks in XP as I just built this new rig. The voltages said they were correct in BIOS (2.1v) but I'll play with them a bit.

I have tried the ram in both slots 1 and 3 and 2 and 4 as well as 1 and 2, which is the only one that works at the moment. Like I said, both sticks are good and work fine alone and in single channel, but Windows gives the blue screen o' death if I try dual channel. I'm going to look at some forums for my Asus board and see if I can find the solution there.

I have Micron D9 GMH ram so they can certainly take some more voltage... I'll try it when I get home.

And you're right, it certainly doesn't seem like a Vista problem... I hope I don't gotta RMA my mobo... =\

Guest ecthlipsis
I don't dual boot, and I have never tried these sticks in XP as I just built this new rig. The voltages said they were correct in BIOS (2.1v) but I'll play with them a bit.

I have tried the ram in both slots 1 and 3 and 2 and 4 as well as 1 and 2, which is the only one that works at the moment. Like I said, both sticks are good and work fine alone and in single channel, but Windows gives the blue screen o' death if I try dual channel. I'm going to look at some forums for my Asus board and see if I can find the solution there.

I have Micron D9 GMH ram so they can certainly take some more voltage... I'll try it when I get home.

And you're right, it certainly doesn't seem like a Vista problem... I hope I don't gotta RMA my mobo... =\

Well the problem was the auto-settings. I guess let that be a lesson to people with a similar problem. Once I manually changed the timings to the recommended it booted just fine in DC. Odd, but true.