Horrible pictures of dead caps

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea, I saw that and was like "Those sneaky little bastards..."

:lol:

That's SO mean though :P You're thinking sweet, awesome (insert good brand name here) caps, not the crappy Fuhyjiju (?!?!) things, and then it turns out to be just that :lol:

Yea, I saw that too and it is fantastic :D It is not shopped anyway... so sad.

You're thinking sweet, awesome (insert good brand name here) caps, not the crappy Fuhyjiju (?!?!) things, and then it turns out to be just that...

Well, the catch is, that you think you have a 6800uF 50V cap and all you have is a 2200uF 35V cap. What if you use it at 40, 45V? Even Ruby give up if you overvolt it!

Dell Precision 450 with Nichicon caps, user markp, OC AU forums.
Dell_Precision_450_Nichicon_caps.jpg Edited by trodas

That is mainly a SEVER board using QUALITY Nichicons busted up ;)

The truth in this very sad story is, that they used the one big batch of Nichicons that are known to fail - a manufacturing error. It simply happens. But the results could be disasterous.

OST cap in Asus P5AD2 Premium, used approx half year with P4 3.6 GHz (Prescott rev D0 (119A current...) )

ostcapah9.jpg

I actually very recently (two weeks ago) accidentally used 16v Panasonic capacitors in a basic linear power supply, for a preamp, with a 15VAC transformer, giving ~22VDC rectified. This was on for a week and a half 24/7 before, for some reason, I suddenly realised my mistake. I wasn't even fiddling with the thing at the time. It just popped in to my head for no reason.

I opened it up expecting something horrific, but all was actually perfectly fine - cosmetically at least. I replaced them with 35v Panasonics, naturally...

I've read reports of someone using 200 odd volt caps(?) Nichicon... UCC... can't remember, where 350 odd volt caps were needed(?) for a week without any exploding / leaking or what not :) I found it quite err interesting [slash] impressive.

Yes, wow, this is indeed impressive. When I downrate voltage (because I'm always short on "special" caps, like 470uF 25V Panny FM or 47uF 50V Panny... eh) I always check before with a scope for the highest ripple. In a Enermax 485W PSU, these above mentioned has the highest ripple of 13 and 14.4V respectively.

Lucky.

I did no suggest that to anyone, tough.

But yes. Good caps has some headroom (not very much, but do have) and Panny being especially well-dimensed in this regard.

However if you polarize them wrong - well - that is what happen to Panny FM cap wrongly polarized by my mistake into Abi ST6R mobo as imput cap for Vcore:

panasonicfmfailureqw1.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Pentium 4 Asus mobo:

asus_mobo_bad_caps.jpg

User Random Murderer from TechPowerUp swear that this is not result of lighting, but "just" a bad cap that exploded...!

Edited by trodas

Asus P5K-E - exploded Fujitsu polymer 270uF 16V on Vcore imput, just right after PSU...

asusp5kefujipolymer270uvi0.jpg

Why? Well, because user NewBeetle from Xtremesystems forums did overclock with OCZ PSU and only a 520W one, and filled with Teapo caps...

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showth...ad.php?t=151968

Edited by trodas