[Overclock] Core 2 Duo E6400

I'm sorry but I'm not sure if this is the good topic where I had to post my question. Sorry if it's the wrong one. ]

I'm about to order a new cooler for my Core 2 Duo (E6400) processor and start overclocking. I'm talking about the ZALMAN CNPS9700 NT cooling from.. ZALMAN.

My processor is currently running at stock speed (2,13GHz) I know someone from my work who has managed to overclock exactly the same processor to 3.0GHz with a less decent -- way cheaper and smaller -- cooler and a less decent -- bit older than mine -- motherboard. My motherboard is an ASUS P5B Deluxe (the non-WiFi one) allowing overclockers to greatly overclock their system.

Now my question is: Is the ZALMAN cooler mentioned above a decent cooler that allows me to reach at least 3.0GHz? Together with the ASUS motherboard it shouldn't be a problem actually. Also I'm not sure whether to give the processor more Voltage or not since this isn't really my thing.. overclocking..

Is there anyone around here who could give me some good information about how to perform a successful overclock? And yeah, I know that overclocking doesn't go without circumstances.

Specifications:

GPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 2.13GHz (stock speed)

GPU: Geforce 8800GTX (stock speed)

RAM: 4098MB @ 800 MHz in Dual Channel Mode (5-5-5-18 )

HDD: 1x S-ATA II 160GB (RAiD coming soon)

PSU: Coolermaster 550Watt

Mobo: ASUS P5B Deluxe (NON WiFi)

Edited by sdy284

The Zalman will do well, but I would recommend either the Scythe Mine or the Tuniq Tower 120. The Tuniq is THE best air cooler at the moment as far as I know, but the Scythe Mine comes close for a lot less money!

Can you replace the 120mm fan in the Tuniq?

I don't know first-hand, but I've read several reviews where they said they did, so I'd assume you can.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i always assumed very little would change going from heatsink to heatsink. only dif i noticed is that the bigger ones cool a little better, that's it. i have a xp 90 and a part of me wants to get something else, but then the cheap part of me stops the other me saying "what the heck dont waste money on that, save up a better cpu or something along those lines" so i stay with my xp-90 until i get a valid reason to change my heatsink

Ultra-120 extreme beats the tuniq and that zalman. i.e. it's the best. :thumbs-up:

I can't say how the other two perform but I'd definately agree that the Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme is simply amazing. I haven't overclocked my system yet however at full load my CPU is running about 36 degrees C. (thats with a 120mm fan on the sink, and two additional 120mm case fans.) I'm sure others have done much lower, but I was impressed with the numbers.

The Ultra-120 Extreme just barely let me put the side of my case on though, it takes up alot of realestate inside the case.

Regards,

Zarius.

Guest ecthlipsis
Ultra-120 extreme beats the tuniq and that zalman. i.e. it's the best. :thumbs-up:

I have the Ultra-90 and I love it. My temps are better than most of the people here at OCC and I paid a whopping $16.00 for it. It's also a lot smaller than the enormous Tuniq, which is certainly a nice thing.

Guest ecthlipsis
i always assumed very little would change going from heatsink to heatsink. only dif i noticed is that the bigger ones cool a little better, that's it. i have a xp 90 and a part of me wants to get something else, but then the cheap part of me stops the other me saying "what the heck dont waste money on that, save up a better cpu or something along those lines" so i stay with my xp-90 until i get a valid reason to change my heatsink

What did you think a better heatsink would do? They don't necessarily need to be bigger to cool better, though. Also, a good heatsink is pretty much a necessity for those of us that like to OC our rigs =)

In your case, though, I would stick with what you have. AMD 64's overclock like crap, so save up for a C2D :thumbs-up:

I concur with etchlipsis I use that cooler on my P5N-E sli board and run my 6400 up to 3800mhz with no heat problems. At a more reasonable speed of 3200mhz

My little machine idles at 34C not bad for 400fsb. The coller was only $16 @ SVC. I just had to try it. To help it though I added more side fans. I now run 2 x 90mm side fans and a 120mm side fan. it really cooled things off and my 7900T which is volt modded on both the GPUand memory idles at about 37C. Things are very cool inside the case which helps the coolers do their jobs.

IMG_3458a.jpg

As you can see the cooler has the 120 blowing in on it.

Hey my mem is running at 3-3-3-3 with an 80mm fan on it which gets its air from the side fans also

Ok OK I have a 120mm fan with blue lights in it headed this way. So it will look cooler too.

WZ

Edited by weldzilla