Sign in to follow this  
O(V)eGA_l2el)

Batch file w/ spaces

I have noticed one of my batch files contains a directory name with a space and does not execute correctly. Although, other batch files containing names with spaces execute with no problems. What am I overlooking in this particular batch file. Should I use quotation marks, a tilde, or some other character to signify a space within filenames?

Syntax Example:

@echo off

echo Starting fileone...

cd H:\Directory One\Subdirectory\fileonedirectory

start fileone.exe

I have noticed one of my batch files contains a directory name with a space and does not execute correctly. Although, other batch files containing names with spaces execute with no problems. What am I overlooking in this particular batch file. Should I use quotation marks, a tilde, or some other character to signify a space within filenames?

Syntax Example:

@echo off

echo Starting fileone...

cd H:\Directory One\Subdirectory\fileonedirectory

start fileone.exe

Try enclosing the directory name in quotes like this: cd "H:\Directory One\Subdirectory\fileonedirectory"

Try enclosing the directory name in quotes like this: cd "H:\Directory One\Subdirectory\fileonedirectory"

Enclosing that line does not work; the results remain the same (can not find fileone.exe).

What about: start "H:\Directory One\Subdirectory\fileonedirectory\fileone.exe"

Perhaps a silly question, but are you sure you have the path right? I think enclosing in "'s should actually work...

According to the CD help documentation:

CHDIR command does not treat spaces as deliminiters [...] so it is possible to CD into a directory with a space.

So chances are you've got the directory wrong, or you're not CDing correctly. Ah heck, I'll quote it:

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]