Tuniq Tower lapping

Propane

I just recieved my Tuniq Tower from frozenCPU and was wondering if any of the owners have felt a significant reduction in core temperature from lapping the heatsink base. Thanks.

I remember something about slightly rougher bases doing better than mirror smooth bases. Something about thermal paste needing a place to settle in.

Edited by The Unforgivin

I remember something about slightly rougher bases doing better than mirror smooth bases. Something about thermal paste needing a place to settle in.

Well, I'm pretty certain that thermal paste is REQUIRED to to imperfectly flat material contact. If both surfaces were perfect, there would be no need for paste ;)

Can anyone comment on the actual noise from the internal fan? I'm intrigued to know before I consider the purchase.

Its not bad at all. I can hear my HDD's ovr it. Now the Silverstone FM121 is a bit louder than it.

long story short, the "shinier" the better. this is because there are less "grooves" for heat to get stuck in, and more surface area is in direct contact with the cpu itself. but unless it has a terrible finish, like the heatsinks that come in the retail boxes that cpus come in, you'll only get a 2 or 3c drop at the most. definitely worth it if you're goin hardcore.