The Rise of the 2nd X S I Gaming Rig

First off, listen to this song, it PWnz ^^

Secondly, yeh, thats right, Im starting the project for my 2nd big gaming rig. This thing will have a custom case made for it which I'll take care of, my problem right now is that I've unfortunately fallen back on current hardware, such as the AMD [email protected] socket, the graphic cards (going single on the card but with SLI motherboard for future upgrade), and to be honest with you I dont know if I want to go back to Mushkin for my RAM. Ill be going modular for my power supply. something like the Kingwin MACH 1. I'll probably go single HD in Sata2 ( unless Im out of date of them too). And finally,the big finally, the liquid cooling system! Im definitely going 3/4 or 1/2 ID tubing. So Ill take recommendations and information, and as always, thank you OCC.

~Xsikotic

With going for the best bang for your buck, a C2D E6600, 2 gigs of some nice DDR2-1066, the Gigabyte 680i board (dunno the exact name), a 8800GTX/2900XT(X) and 2x160GB's in RAID-0 or something would be your best bet.

Quite close to unlimited, as always.

LOL! I guess that shouldn't surprise me by now :P So here's my build given those specifications:

Intel E6600 2.4Ghz 4MB L2 Cache Skt775 ($235)

eVGA 680i SLI Skt775 ($204 - $15MIR)

eVGA 8800GTX PCIe (575/1800) ($560 - $30MIR)

G.Skill 2x2GB PQ DDR2-800 5-5-5-15 ($310)

PC Power & Cooling 750W Quad SLI PSU ($220)

2xWD Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA 16MB Cache ($160 -$20MIR)

Seagate Barracuda 500GB SataII 16MB Cache HDD ($145)

Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer 7.1 Sound Card ($90)

Watercooling:

Swiftech Apogee GT ($50)

DD12V-D5 Pump (Variable Speed) ($90)

DangerDen Fillport ($12)

Black Ice XtremeII Radiator ($43)

8' Tygon 1/2" ID Tubing ($23)

Total: $2,217

My notes:

The watercooling may be a bit excessive with so many people doing so well on air with C2D, but I think it's not SO expensive as to not be worth the fun of WC if you're up for it.

The 4GB of ram is debatable. For the record, I'd get two, but I can't claim to be on a "nearly limitless" budget. 4GB is futureproof, but won't do you much good right now.

You can do better than DDR2-800, but I don't see why. Any decent set of DDR2-800 can get an E6600 to 4Ghz+ without really breaking a sweat, and I just don't see many chips going much further than that realistically.

If you're willing to get a non-SLI board, the Gigabyte DQ6 would be my vote, but that doesn't leave an upgrade path for the 8800GTX, which you mentioned was important. You could get the Asus Striker Extreme which does support SLI, but I personally think that's just a "flash" board and not really worth the extra money.

You could get the DangerDen 8800GTX Water Block, but given the price I think it's unnecessary. WC for graphics is mostly overkill anyways (except for noise considerations), unless you plan to voltmod, which I don't think you do.

Socket 775?

Absolutely. Intel reigns without question right now. Nothing AMD has can keep up. You should check out the 775 OC Competition :)

4 gigs of arm.... wow, necessary for ut2K7?

Like I said, --I-- wouldn't. I'd get 2 and be happy as a clam. I think that's happy, but having never been a clam... well, you get the idea. But people said 2GB was crazy not too long ago, and some of the new games look like they might put 4GB to good use. If you're looking for future-proofing and your pockets are deep, I'd consider 4.

Power supply; will this do?

Well, it'd probably do. I don't really care much for modular though, to be honest. To me, it's just a gimmick. Hiding wires is easy in a decent case. I shop by quality, and you simply will not beat PCP&P on quality (and therefore, OCability). Also, PCP&P isn't nearly as unreasonable on prices as they used to be.

I like the raptors ^^

I thought you might :)

Can I go with something acrylic for waterblock on CPU and VGA?

I guess you could do something like the DangerDen 775 TDX, but I think the Swiftech has the best performance, and that comes before looks for me. As for the VGA cooling, there really isn't a lot out for the 8800GTX right now. The DD one I linked is really all I found (even including upgraded air), and that one is VERY overpriced, IMO.

I -Heart- You.

Heh, glad to help. I think I could seriously spec out builds like this all day. I might need professional help...

socket 775 = Core2Duo = the sharpest tool in the shed at this time!

4 gigs = why not? Price is doable if you say on a nearly unlimited budget

I would not go for that Kingwin, it doesn't look like the sort of PSU I would run a 8800GTX on.

Raptors kick butt, I know you have 2x36GBs in your rig already

btw, to the song, its pretty dang good, however this one beats it to the ground! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krhWjIcvrQw...ted&search=

You could get the DangerDen 8800GTX Water Block, but given the price I think it's unnecessary. WC for graphics is mostly overkill anyways (except for noise considerations), unless you plan to voltmod, which I don't think you do.

Watercooling a 8800GTX makes a lot of sense to me, more than aircooling it with what? stock cooling? pfffft... I don't like stock nv gpu fans, a tornado is less annoying

and the water is already there, so may as well use it... a lot of people go for a smaller gpu block and ramsinks though because the gpu produces so much heat (it heats the memory up more)

Watercooling a 8800GTX makes a lot of sense to me, more than aircooling it with what? stock cooling? pfffft... I don't like stock nv gpu fans, a tornado is less annoying

and the water is already there, so may as well use it... a lot of people go for a smaller gpu block and ramsinks though because the gpu produces so much heat (it heats the memory up more)

Oh I'm right with you, I just think that the price is a little too high given the benefits. If the GTX block cost was more in line with any other GPU or CPU block out there, I'd have it on the list in a second. But since it's so expensive, I just don't think it's worth the money.

Some would argue that on a budget described as "close to unlimited", the cost is not important, but I'm not into building expensive rigs just because I can. That's why it was mentioned, but not included. :)

I knew that kingwin looked familiar! I think it belongs to Superflower's new line of power supplies, no idea how they perform yet, but it appears a lot of MFGs have been picking these up!