Mac OSX Hacked for $10k

HoLoDreaM

Guest ecthlipsis
So please, let's drop this whole "smaller user base" rumor and stick with the facts. Thank you.

You kidding? That is a fact...

Honestly, I don't see why you guys are arguing about this anyway. Let those that think Mac is overpriced, crappy, etc. believe what they want. You seem like you're on a mission to convert the world to Mac, lol. You each posted your side, so no one's mind is going to be changed now from more arguing.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Next, the majority of virus authors and hackers do what they do for notoriety. They want the fame that goes with bringing down several hundred thousand or millions of computers and causing millions in dollars in damage.

So let me get this straight, hackers do what they do so that people know who they are and so they know that they're responsible for millions of dollars in damage. That sounds like a plan to me if you want to live in fear of being busted by the government of the country that you live in at any time of day without warning because of the damage that you did all in the name of notoriety and fame. Last time I checked, I haven't seen any articles titled "Zero Cool crashes 1 million computers! Exclusive interview on page 4!" or anything along those lines in the local newspaper.

Seriously, this thread(not the original post or any posts relating to it but basically everything past the first 15 or so posts) should just be deleted as this has degenerated into nothing more than a war of fanboyism. Both sides bring up valid points but both sides fail to realize that no operating system on the face of this earth is completely safe and secure. Just because nobody knows about a particular flaw in an OS doesn't mean that it's completely bullet-proof. Flip the world upside down and now Apple and their OS are on top and I bet you that people would be all like "Windows is sooooooo much more secure than OSX!" Your argument means nothing. It solves nothing and it proves nothing except that you two are too stubborn to realize that you're both right and wrong at the same time.

The reason why OSX and Linux are "more secure" is because no one really bothers exploiting them, the user base is too insignificant.

Insignificant may have been the wrong word to use but this point is basically valid. Why do it when there's no money, or fame or notoriety, associated with doing it? Kash I respect you and your opinion but you need to open your eyes and realize that macs are the minority and that will, for now, remain the truth no matter how you spin it.

I'm sorry if this post throws fuel onto the fire and I welcome any moderator to remove it if they feel that it serves to accomplish nothing but that. Let me just finish off by begging the moderators to close this thread down. No good can come of it anymore as it has been corrupted by seeds of fanboyism. We must not allow that dark flower to bloom here at OCC.

For the record, I priced out an HP vs. the 17" Macbook Pro

Apple.................HP

2.4GHZ.............2.2 GHZ

2GB..................2GB

1680x1050.........1680x1050

LED Screen.......CCFL (Or whatever the standard is called) screen

8600M GT.........8600M GS

Webcam............Webcam

160GB..............160GB

$2799...............$1703.99

I'll admit that the LED Screen (although that hasn't proved neccessarily better except for battery life), and the 2.4GHZ and the 8600 GT are slightly better then the ones found on the HP. But does it justify the 1100 price difference? Overpriced hardware... (XPS's are overpriced hardware too. Gamer wannabes.)

Edited by Vasto

If you want to do cost analysis, take a look at this article

Mac vs. PC cost analysis: How does it all add up?

iKillSteal, I'm not biased toward Macs. I'm biased against idiots who cling to this ridiculous notion that low market share is the ONLY reason why Windows gets attacked more often. Yes, it is an important factor, but it is not the only one. Design DOES have a lot to do with it. OS X sits on a UNIX base, which has been proven to be inherently far more secure than Windows, regardless of market share. I'm not saying that OS X or UNIX are bullet proof, but at least they're not swiss cheese either.

Who gives a .?

I hate macs because i am not used to the interface. They confuse the crap out me whenever i try them in store. I like to stick with whats easier for me to use. And what i have been using all my life.

I like apple the company, because they practically invented the computer we know today. I love my mouse.

If you want to do cost analysis, take a look at this article

Mac vs. PC cost analysis: How does it all add up?

Great article! He does make a great point about there not being inbetween systems. I wanted a 15" laptop and to spend roughly 1500 bucks on it. Apple didn't have a system for me. I find their lack of customization options aggravating. I would have considered the Macbook if it offered a dedicated graphics option. Instead I went with HP because they were able to offer me what I want. That doesn't mean I don't like OSX though. I plan on installing OSX onto my HP (hopefully I can get it stable enough where I don't even need a dual boot and only need OSX installed)

Guest ecthlipsis
Let me just finish off by begging the moderators to close this thread down. No good can come of it anymore as it has been corrupted by seeds of fanboyism. We must not allow that dark flower to bloom here at OCC.

*Nods*

Although... isn't the creator of this thread a moderator himself?

*Edit* I mistakenly thought Kash made this thread, which is not the case.

The reason why OSX and Linux are "more secure" is because no one really bothers exploiting them, the user base is too insignificant.

Kash.... there IS some truth in this. however the underlying reason for it is seriously different from what others are saying. it's a matter or probability and distribution. if you put 100,000 red marbles in a jar, and 500 blue ones in a jar, shake them up and start randomly drawing marbles... odds favor you pulling red. now replace red with PC and blue with mac.

I know there is, I agreed to it on the last page. I'm not arguing that point, I'm arguing that it's not the ONLY reason why Macs don't get attacked as often, and Linux for that matter. Because by saying that, it's like admitting OS X and Windows are exactly the same at their core. You know as well as I do that OS X's backend is far more secure than that of Windows.

it certainly is more secure.

which does deter problem children.

it's alo the lack of use OSX sees in financial and government servers.

and for the record kiddies... XP, 2k3, 2k and even NT4 are accepted for use by the US government. the ONLY MS OS they will not use is Vista.

it certainly is more secure.

which does deter problem children.

it's alo the lack of use OSX sees in financial and government servers.

and for the record kiddies... XP, 2k3, 2k and even NT4 are accepted for use by the US government. the ONLY MS OS they will not use is Vista.

well vista has only been out for 6 months.

And for the record kiddies, i have seen windows vista on a government computer.