Official Forum Wars Recruitment Thread

jammin

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I need another video card then I could put this E6600 thats running at 3.8 on a DS3 folding rig board and water cool it also. I was looking at stuff I have laying around and I have enough stuff to water cool one more rig. Ehium 1250 pump still works, DD maze 4 block that can be made to fit 775 socket real easy, a maze 4 GPU and several heater cores and 120mm fans and about 4 gal of distilled water sitting in there on there floor. Hmm what would score decent and not cost a ton and be able to fold when the contest is over and be a lesser card than the 2900xt

Edited by road-runner

Well first off O've been extremely busy recently, even so that's not directly what's stopping me from participating. For one the Mushkin ram I won here at OCC took a dump and while troubleshooting I had the joy of one of the heatspreaders just...falling off...Mushkin support has been useless so far, or one I still dont have replacement ram, and they refuse to even mention my damaged 7950GT (from the falling heatspreader/ram) in emails to support. So with what appears to be the second worst company I've ever dealt with (ASUS still takes the crown for useless "support" in my book) With that said you can thank Mushkin for me NOT entering the war this year. I was planning to fall back on the LAN rig with the 6800gs and ballistix, however after having the joy of a dead Seagate 320GB HDD in my RAID array that's seen less than 5 weeks of use, I really dont have time to swap parts around especially when I dont have a solid" primary PC, once the war begins I know I would do like last time and go all out 24/7 it's almost stable but I can bench it or part of the war and I just cant do that at this time when I've been forced back to one "gaming" PC. The 6800GS is like a kick in the nuts compared to the 7950GT when you try to pair it with a 20" widescreen LCD.

In a slight effort to not make that sound like a Mushkin sucks comment, the ram worked well for the first monh or so then one of the sick started acting odd, the other still OCs nicely, but whatever. Honestly Seagate and the HDD that was actually doing strange thigns from the day I first put it in my main rig pisses me off much more.

/me ends rant

Hell I'm almost pissed off enough to go rebuild the LAN/main rig hybrid now...so let's see, evga board, one good segate HDD, 6800gs or 7950gt if i can keep it happy for long enough to score o I could use one of my THREE x600 se cards hehe, 2GB of ballistix, E6600, 650w Silverstone PSU...

What the hell Let's make WAR!

(why do i always talk myself into this stuff, hell I might evne have to enter a downsized LAN rig hehe)

As has been mentioned, anything that can be scraped together is worth entering to make sure we have enough players.

Your efforts are appreciated. :)

Well I did get both rigs setup for the war last night, and about 1/2 the main rig benches are complete (secondary rig threw an error during the only attempted 3D Mark 01 run).

So far some fixing of the 7950gt seems to have it working atm so here are "basic" specs of what ill have assuming i get both benched in time:

E6600

EVGA 680i SLI

2GB Ballistix PC2-5300 (Thanks to the death of some Mushkin)

7950GT KO SC (512)

320GB 7200.10 SATA Seagate

Silverstone OP650

Water

and

E6300

MSI 650i SLI board

2GB G.Skill PC2-6400 NZ (might borrow a friend's "old" Ballistix for this one, but it tops out lower than mine)

6800GS (256)

200GB 7200 SATA WD

Dynex 500w

Stock cooling :-\ (unless i can come up with something quick and in a hurry)

Not too bad really, just not where I had planned to be this year vs last, however it's overall better than last year's Opty 165/7900gt and 3000+/x800xt pe combo.

Well I'm at work now so off I go!

Not bad for a couple of rigs that aren't "ideal".

As for the stock cooling on the second one, as long as you stick with air you can mess with it as much as you want once things get under way. :)