Sign in to follow this  
Cyberbeer

Wierd lines at Post

My friend brought his computer over after a failed attempt by Circuit $hi**y to install Vista. Now he has some wierd white lines down the post screen. The CMOS screen is free of them and so is every screen after. Anyone have an idea of what they could be. Posting a pic.

post-8086-1177022556_thumb.jpg

Did you try re-seating the graphics card if it has one? I dont understand why it would do that unless they messed with the inside of his PC.

They zip tied some wires and the such. Apparently the problem didnt occur until he played CS:S and it crashed. Now lines at post screen, and the first screen of installing Vista. Looks like Vista is installing on it now. I'm gonna try swapping out his 7800GT and put my X1800 in and see what happens. Seems to only do it where there are black backgrounds.

Update: Well it seems the vid card is going bad. I threw my card in and reinstalled vista no problem.

Edited by Cyberbeer

is the gpu fan engaging / plugged into power? or maybe the heatsink has come unseated somehow...

Yea its the card that was causing the lines and Vista problems. The pic kinda reminds me of the original Nintendo system, when the cartridges were'nt seated perfectly lol.

This post has inspired me to register as I am having the exact same funky lines on the post screen and Windows boot screen. Has anyone else had and solved this problem? Cyberbeer: has your friend's system been stable with another card?

My story is that I had installed a 7600GS and it worked fine for a couple of days, then the graphics crashed while I was playing EU:III. After boot up I can just about log in to Windows but the display is unusable. Removing the card allows my machine to revert to the integrated GeForce4 MX and the system is OK again. Using another monitor shows the same problem.

So, I figure the card is at fault but because it worked for a while I'm concerned it'll happen again if I exchange it or buy another card. Despite the forum name I was not clocking the card - just using it vanilla.

This post has inspired me to register as I am having the exact same funky lines on the post screen and Windows boot screen. Has anyone else had and solved this problem? Cyberbeer: has your friend's system been stable with another card?

My story is that I had installed a 7600GS and it worked fine for a couple of days, then the graphics crashed while I was playing EU:III. After boot up I can just about log in to Windows but the display is unusable. Removing the card allows my machine to revert to the integrated GeForce4 MX and the system is OK again. Using another monitor shows the same problem.

So, I figure the card is at fault but because it worked for a while I'm concerned it'll happen again if I exchange it or buy another card. Despite the forum name I was not clocking the card - just using it vanilla.

This happened to me to. I just returned the card and my new one worked fine!

Thank you for the reply. It's gives me more confidence that another card will work. I got the 7600gs from Newegg so an exchange shouldn't be a problem.

I had this with a 9800 AIW I recently bought just whipped off the Heat Sink slapped on a tiny bit of AS5 and no more lines

I got the lines right from start up, i.e. when the card was cold, so I figured this might not fix it for me. Anyhow, I can report that I returned the card and asked for a new one, which works fine. Thanks again.