E6600 vs E6700

Propane

Hey, with the price drops coming up, the E6700 will be as much as the E6600 is now. I have enough to buy either on that date but I was wondering which would preform better. Obviousilly at stock speeds the award will be the E6700's but what about overclocking? I'm not too worried about the %, but the preformance at the top clock (on air).

I think with good cooling the 6700 should OC just a bit further as its already a little higher clock, but then again all chips are different. I have been thinking the same thing either a E6700 or the X6800.

A comparison between the 2. My 6600 actually is prime stable at lower volts than the 6700. Both are prime stable at 3.6ghz. My 6700 will bench higher than my 6600. other than that you can run a lower fsb with the higher multiplier to get your clock speed up. BTW i use a tuniq tower to cool them. No water or cool air , they load around 47-55c at 1.6v.

even with the best cooling in the world, the 6700 only has the smallest edge... so this isn't always going to be the case...

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=59753

i'd definitely go with the E6600 and put the money saved towards a better choice of ram and motherboard (and psu if yours sucks)

As far as I've seen, the 6700 doesn't generally provide a whole lot of benefit over the 6600. Well, at least not for someone who overclocks. I'd stick with the 6600 and save the cash for something else.

You know, it seems to be a pretty reliable trend really. The higher stock clock chips are really not much different from the lower ones. Just look at the Opteron 939's that everyone was clocking about a year ago. The 146, 148, 150, etc, they all seemed to end up at about the same speeds. The same was true with the 3700+, 4000+, etc. The more expensive chips are worth it if you're not going to OC, but if you are, they'll both probably end up at about the same speed. Plus, it's more fun to get more OC percentage out of the cheaper chips :)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ecthlipsis

If you feel like paying the extra money for 10x multiplier instead of 9x, then go for it. As other people have stated, the overclocking potential difference is minimal. For the money I'd say go with the 6600. If money isn't really much of an issue, then what the hell, get that sexy 10x multi.