Overclocking and memory

For some reason this seems to be largely omitted everywhere (Yes, I have read the basic guides):

1. I hear about "good" and "crappy" RAM for overclocking all the time, though I can't find their lists. I know that generally, Micron and Corsair are good names, PNY and Centon are ordinary, if mediocre, names. Also there are upscale (like HyperX) and value (valueRAM) lines within a brand. How do I know if a particular model is good for OC-ing? Reviews of new models of memory don't touch the subject of OC-ing. They do talk about overclocking the RAM itself (which is separate from OC-ing the CPU, right?)

2. What about the speed? Is it "the faster, the better"? Or there are bus speed compatibility (match) issues? They say that 533MHz (PC4200) is so-so, 667MHz is OK, but 800MHz is very good. Following that logic, is 1066MHz better than 800 (and so on)?

The questions are general, but if it makes difference, in my case it's E4300 and GA-965P-DS3 v1.3

For your setup, you will not really benefit from 1066 RAM. Stick to 800 as it is often half the price. After using value ram...i was much more satisfied with "premium" memory. Not always suitable for everyone, but if you want to clock, go for it.

this ram list: http://ramlist.ath.cx/ddr2/

will give you an idea of which sticks are loaded with which chips ;)

Guest christopher3393

I've been looking at Corsair PC 8500C5 to run on an EVGA 680i w/ a C2D 6800. While the first 4 Revs used Micron, Rev. 2.1 uses Infineon B. I'm looking at this on Newegg, which is presently running at $237.00 after rebate.

Is there any way to find out which Rev. Newegg has in stock?

What do you guys think about Super Talent DDR2-800 (T800UX2CG5)? This model is not in the list, but received praise at Anandtech review here. They are 5-5-5-15 but ran fine at 4-4-4-12 with a slight vDimm boost to 1.95. Right now you can get 2x1GB kit from eWiz.com for about $110.