Scythe Mine VS Tuniq Tower

Ste

top PSU you chose there! The Gigabyte board will be great, because it has the 965 chipset. All Intel OCs that can be categorized as EXTREME have been on the 965P before the 680i/RD600 released. That means: With the 965P, you can surely go higher than 400MHz, like I am running. I run 400x8 everyday, so you could run 500x8 if your RAM does it (my CPU is the limit here). The 975X will hit a wall somewhere below/around 400MHz, that could be 350, but it could also be 420. Most of the 975X boards I have read about tend to stay below 400MHz FSB stable.

I hope that helps, I think I did a better explanation in my C2D OCing guide :)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

top PSU you chose there! The Gigabyte board will be great, because it has the 965 chipset. All Intel OCs that can be categorized as EXTREME have been on the 965P before the 680i/RD600 released. That means: With the 965P, you can surely go higher than 400MHz, like I am running. I run 400x8 everyday, so you could run 500x8 if your RAM does it (my CPU is the limit here). The 975X will hit a wall somewhere below/around 400MHz, that could be 350, but it could also be 420. Most of the 975X boards I have read about tend to stay below 400MHz FSB stable.

I hope that helps, I think I did a better explanation in my C2D OCing guide :)

Ok thanks for all your Input.

For now, it will be this:

PC Power & Cooling Silencer

E6600

Gigabyte GA 965P-DS3

G SKill HZ DDR2 800 (2 GB's)

Scythe Mine

And some Version of the 8800GTX 768 MB But I want to wait for prices to drop some...

And it looks as though I will not have any left over cash to spend on HD's or XP Pro... Oh well...

be sure the 8800GTX is EVGA ;) simply the best I tell you! Your rig looks great, the HZ's are top! I just had a look at the DDR2 Ramlist (link in the C2D OCing guide), they have D9GMH under the hood, so you should be OCing very well.

not an awful lot. the capacitors on the DS3 are ceramic and the S3 are "regular". Ceramic caps prolong life i presume. other than that, not a massive difference (different ethernet controller...mine is fine)

but then again the capacitors can't be that much different, cause all the previous boards I've owned used the regular capacitors (like the DFI SLI-DR Expert) and they worked just as well. As long as you're not running that thing for 10 years 24/7 it should be fine.

Well, check my sig. I had a Scythe Mine III first, and I could run it my 6700 (2.66 GHz) at 3.6 GHZ 24/7. I only had to lower it to 3.4 when I tried to run some games for hours at a time. I knew when to back it down when my pc would reboot.

But really, I ran it at 3.6 GHz and my ram at 1080 MHz daily.

Then I decided to try to get higher clocks and bought the Tuniq Tower because everyone was telling me it would be soo much better. NOT! It did not help me get any higher than I could get with my Scythe Mine III. To boot, the Scythe Mine is easier to install because it does not require you to put a backup plate on the back side of your motherboard like the Tuniq requires. And you have to have the board out of the case to put a backup plate on.

Tthe Scythe Mine III all the way!

but then again the capacitors can't be that much different, cause all the previous boards I've owned used the regular capacitors (like the DFI SLI-DR Expert) and they worked just as well. As long as you're not running that thing for 10 years 24/7 it should be fine.

it keeps the capicators from doing this abit-be6-ii-busted-capacitors.jpeg