Scythe Mine VS Tuniq Tower

Ste

Well I will be Building/upgrading in a few weeks and I am wondering which Heatsink I should purchase for a E6600.

It has come down to Two heatsinks.

Scythe Mine, 32$

And

Tuniq Tower, 65$

Now I don't Know About you, But they look almost Identical in design.....

I notice that the Tuniq Tower is Wider, as in, it has longer metal plates..

Now, I am on a tight budget if you will. The scythe mine looks extremely tempting for it's price...

How big of a difference is there between to the two?

Keep in mind that this computer will be left on 24/7. Main purpose will be F@H and Gamming (Crysis, UT2007, New games)

I want to get the best OC Possible out of it.

If your interested:

The RAM and Motherboard I Plan to purchase are:

ASUS P5B E (Should I flash the BIOS once I build it?)

G Skill HZ DDR2 800 (2 X 1 GB's)

So, is the Tuniq Tower worth the Price tag when Compared to the Scythe Mine???

On A side note, I wish to reuse my current Power supply. 36 amps acrossed two 12V rails. Will it be enough for this set up?

E6600

Asus P5B E

8800 GTX 768 MB

G Skill 2 GB

Audigy 2 ZS

2 Optical Drives

2 HD's In RAID 0

8 Fans

If its not, what wattage would be enough? I am guessing the corsair 620HX Would do nicely...

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tuniq is definatly what you WANT, however It's a hard choice when on a budget. With 24/7 use I would really rather spend the extra money so your not as limited in your OC.

PLEASE do not buy a P5B-E. It's a decent board performance wise, however ASUS customer "support" is total crap, and in the event you DO update the bios, you seem to have a high chance of killing the board. If you check the ASUS forums they even pulled one bios version because it killed a crapload of boards. They released an update, I flashed, ran for a day or two, then the board just DIED. Then a month later ASUS "support" finally decided to actaully reply to my emails/support forms.

On top of that a DS3 will easily out OC it (and that's assuming you get a second revision board and not a first like my RMA replacement that doesnt even have chipset voltage adjustments and 2.1v max for ram). If you still stick with crapsus I say grab their 650i board, great board at a great price. I just couldnt get myself to buy it after the SHITY customer service. I'd rather pay $60 more and get a board that has someone backing it. (or jsut buy a different 965 board, honeslty I like both the 965 and 650/680i lines of boards. Even so I LOVE the OCing freedom the nvidia chipsets allow.

Silent PC prefer the Tuniq over the Scythe. I trust their ability of sound judgement ;)

And Halo is also making a valid point - I have a Gigabyte S3 (oh-so-very-similar to the DS3 bar the capacitors), and it was really well priced and is very tough.

I quote Verran: "I may sound like a broken record, but the Gigabyte S3/DS3 boards are simply awesome for the price!"

I totally agree to that, I have a DS4 (DS3 with CrossFire support basically, I have yet to find one in US stores), and its just such a nice board to work with!

As for a heatsink, maximum performance will be the Tuniq Tower, but the best bang for the buck will be the Scythe Mine.

Ok, Prehaps I will start from the Begining. I have 1200 USD Including shipping to spend on:

RAM (G Skill HZ DDR2 800)

Proc (E6600)

Motherboard (?)

Video Card (?)

Heatsink (?, Although I am really learning towards the Scythe mine ATM)

Two Harddrives in RAID 0 ( I Don't Need help picking that out...)

I would like to order from newegg or zipzoomfly.

Now, The Part I will be reusing are:

Case (Silverstone TJ-05)

OS (XP Home)

Power supply (IF Possible, the one in my Sig, 36 amps on 12V rails, will I need a new one? Hope not)

Optical Drives (Sony CD-RW And NEX DVD RW)

Sound Card (Audigy 2 ZS)

Moniter (Widescreen 19")

Keyboard

Mouse

Fans (one 90MM Tornado, Two 120MM Tornados, five 80mm)

I am completly open to suggestions as I am not ordering any time soon and I am waiting for the Intel Price Drop.

Apparently the Tuniq Tower is the best of the best. But, I can't get over the price. I mean seriously. How Much could my OC Suffer if I buy the Mine over the Tuniq. My guess is not that much. Such similar designs, but one is half as much. Unless the Tuniq Drops 10 to 20 dollars in price then I will just have to go with the Mine. Unless there something better than the Scythe Mine for less or equal price..

Onto the motherboard:

I Saw this Mobo Suggested along with this One.

The first Link is the DFI Infinity and thee second is the Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3. Which overclocks better/has more features/is more reliable?

A Secondary concern is if I am able to save enough money, I would absolutly love to purchase XP Pro...

That can only happen If I don't have to buy a new power supply, or if I do, am able to save money some other way...

Thanks for all your input again...

Guest christopher3393

Scythe Mine will be adequate, Tuniq will be excellent esp. under load or w/ OCing. Power supply will depend on GPU.

sorry man, I was gone in town ;)

So, mainboard wise, I really don't know. Check the C2D OCing guide I wrote for the differences in the chipsets. The DFI is still a DFI, some new BIOS variant is supposed to unlock the real potential in that thing, but I have no clue. The 975X chipset will limit you FSB wise though! The Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 is a TOP board, no questions here. Price to Performance ration is key here, it performs amazing for those 122$ you are spending on it. Overclocking on the Gigabyte Conroe boards is really easy, I got my E6400 to 3.2 without a big deal of tweaking, the Gigabyte help forum is superb (including utilities and BIOS update explanations etc.) and the features like RAID etc are great.

If you get a 8800GTS 320MB, it should be enough (PSU), the Scythe Mine will round off the build well.

Scythe Mine will be adequate, Tuniq will be excellent esp. under load or w/ OCing. Power supply will depend on GPU.

And If I plan on the 768 MB Version?

sorry man, I was gone in town ;)

So, mainboard wise, I really don't know. Check the C2D OCing guide I wrote for the differences in the chipsets. The DFI is still a DFI, some new BIOS variant is supposed to unlock the real potential in that thing, but I have no clue. The 975X chipset will limit you FSB wise though! The Gigabyte GA-965P-DS3 is a TOP board, no questions here. Price to Performance ration is key here, it performs amazing for those 122$ you are spending on it. Overclocking on the Gigabyte Conroe boards is really easy, I got my E6400 to 3.2 without a big deal of tweaking, the Gigabyte help forum is superb (including utilities and BIOS update explanations etc.) and the features like RAID etc are great.

If you get a 8800GTS 320MB, it should be enough (PSU), the Scythe Mine will round off the build well.

Well, I have 0 Experience overclockin Intel Procs. So what does it mean that when you say my FSB OC Will be limited. (Maybe AMD Use Different terms, I don't know, maybe I am just having a brain fart...)

Its Looking like the Gigabyte ATM.

Edit: Power supply shall be: PC Power and cooling 610 Watts (49 Amps on 12V)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817703005