Temperature concern.

Hello all, I am fairly new to this forum, and I must say that this place is great. I've used a couple of tutorials/walk thru's from this site, including the removal of the IHS from my opteron done today. Anyways, i've come to you guys with a major concern of mine, and i'll gladly appreciate any feedback I can get from the professional's around here.

I have an opteron 170 with stepping CCBBE 0610DPMW mounted with as5 with this cpu fan: Link, all on an asus a8n5x board. I am currently, and have been for a while now, using this processor at a 1.375 vcore and have overclocked it to 2.8 ghz with the current fan. I think a 1.375 is stock settings, or maybe not too far from it, i'm not sure.

Well, my main concern is the temps i'm getting. At idle temps, i get around 38c and when im playing games and what not, it goes all the way up to 59c! Is it just me or is this way too hot? In reaction, I took off the ihs from my cpu, which was really scary i must say, but not too hard, and temps have not really improved... In fact, havn't improved at all. I've checked numerous times and the heatsink is placed on the cpu and in contact. It just seems unusual for the temps to be like this, compared to other opteron owners. I mean, if the stock voltage is 1.375, even if I did not overclock, wouldn't it still be the same temp, or around the same temps I have now? I need some guidance.

Thanks for all help in advance, and sorry if this is in the wrong section.

The AS5 has to have time to "burn in" so give it some good CPU load for the next couple of days and then check temperatures again.

Also, the diode could be off, so you would be better off getting a temperature probe and go that route for more exact temps.

Okay, i'll wait a few days and see what's up. I just found out the stock voltage is actualy 1.35. If all else fails, i'll revert back to 1.35 volts and go for a lower oc, maybe 2.6, even though i have the great oc potential stepping of the 939 opteron =\.

How can i check if the diode is off?

THanks for all the help.

--- edit

well i fiddled with my comp a little. removed the side panel fan shield and remounted the heatsink once more. Temps are about 33 idle now, which is pretty good for me. thanks.

Edited by FinalAura