Ultra X-wind CPU Fan

Zarius

I'm looking at building a new machine using an Ultra Aluminus case, with an Intel Core 2 Duo 6600 (2.4Ghz) processor, on a Gigabyte 965P-DS3, and an XFX 8800GTS video card.

I'm just curious if the Ultra X-wind CPU cooler is a decent cooler. (I may overclock, but not initially) The reviews on the tigerdirect website all say it's a decent cooler, but I was looking for some opinions here as well. Other than the question of it's cooling abilities, my other concern is the mounting of the unit. Will this properly fit on the Core 2 6600 and the gigabyte 965P-DS3 board without having to make tweaks or adjustments. Otherthan thermal paste, are all the components included to mount this to the new board and chip?

I haven't built a new system in about 2 years so looking for some answers and advice.

Edit: here is the link: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/Sea...=0&NoMapp=0

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Zarius.

Edited by Zarius

That's an expensive cooler for what it does. Another cooler from thermalright at the same price would perform alot better.

Thats Canadian pricing though. I looked at the Thermalright as well, and they are in the same price range...

I probably should of worded my reply better :P. I would still go with thermalright over ultra anyday not beucase of price but beucase of performance. I would stay away from ultra when it comes to cpu coolers.

I probably should of worded my reply better :P. I would still go with thermalright over ultra anyday not beucase of price but beucase of performance. I would stay away from ultra when it comes to cpu coolers.

Is there a specific model you would recommend for this CPU/Motherboard/Case combo? There are a number of Thermalright units available. One thing I noticed is that the fan is sold seperately, so advice on a nice 120mm fan that is quiet and has decent airflow would be appreciated as well.

Regards,

Zar.

If you can hold out you could grab yourself one of those "Inferno Fire Extinguishers" from thermalright (IFX-14). I have no idea on any good 140mm fans though :(

Otherwise you can buy a thermalright ultra-120 with one of the scythe s-flex fans. I will obliterate that ultra x-wind peformance wise.