Gateway - Model MX8711

A customer brought his new Gateway MX8711 Laptop into our shop the other day. It came with Vista installed on it and he wanted us to remove Vista and put Windows\xp - Pro on it. No problem.. Yeah right..

My boss told me to do a standard swipe and reload.. I did and when I went to install windows\xp - pro I got this message no hard drive found. So I went into the bios to see if the hard drive was detected and yes it was, but it is a SATA hard drive. This is the first time we have seen a SATA hard drive in a laptop.

Problems mounted as there is no floppy drive and we don't have a USB floppy drive. So I use Nlite to create a boot CD with the SATA drivers on it and got windows\xp to install. :rolleyes:

Now my problems are mounting. Gateway list no windows\xp drivers for this animal so I used PC-Wizard to identify the chipset and got the chipset drivers and the video drivers. The main problem is the sound. The device manager tells me the sound drivers are installed but no sound. Spent a good part of three hours trying to find the right sound drivers..

Anyone here run into this problem yet ?

• 1 month later...

I'm impressed that you've made it that far! I've had this computer since March and I haven't been able to get XP installed at all, not even by installing XP Pro on my Maxtor external hard drive and plugging it in. The free ethernet that comes with my rent isn't Vista compatible; I've been running dialup for over a month. What a nightmare!

Problems mounted as there is no floppy drive and we don't have a USB floppy drive. So I use Nlite to create a boot CD with the SATA drivers on it and got windows\xp to install. rolleyes.gif

If you could explain how you did this, I'd be very grateful! :) I have nLite, but I don't know what drivers to integrate in order to make it work.

Edited by Jenn

I'm impressed that you've made it that far! I've had this computer since March and I haven't been able to get XP installed at all, not even by installing XP Pro on my Maxtor external hard drive and plugging it in. The free ethernet that comes with my rent isn't Vista compatible; I've been running dialup for over a month. What a nightmare!

If you could explain how you did this, I'd be very grateful! :) I have nLite, but I don't know what drivers to integrate in order to make it work.

well i dont have nlite on me right now. but when you r running the program, it will give you the option to upload drivers. thats when you select the SATA drivers.

edit: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/los...ratedrivers.jpg

Edited by lost

well i dont have nlite on me right now. but when you r running the program, it will give you the option to upload drivers. thats when you select the SATA drivers.

edit: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v606/los...ratedrivers.jpg

hello well i to have this computer and have the same problem!! could you help me with this i bought a 160 gig and want to install xp!! oh and where did you find the sata drivers for this laptop i looked all over so if you could let me know if you can help

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I just found the SATA drivers for Gateway Model MX8711.

They can be downloaded at: http://www.schrockinnovations.com/GatewaySATA.zip

You will either need to get a USB floppy drive to install the SATA drivers or build your own Windows XP Image using nLite (as mentioned in a previous post) to integrate the driver package into the XP Installation.

I can confirm that the drivers do work as I am installing XP for a co-worker onto his Gateway Laptop.

Now, hopefully I can find the drivers for all of the other devices.

Good Luck! :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks a million. It worked!!!

I have Gateway MX8711 notebook. Successfully installed windows XP and Windows Vista

Now I can't find drivers for Ethernet Controller, Mass Storage / Network / Video / VGA controller and Sound.

Can you pls let me know if you the drivers.

Thanks

I just found the SATA drivers for Gateway Model MX8711.

They can be downloaded at: http://www.schrockinnovations.com/GatewaySATA.zip

You will either need to get a USB floppy drive to install the SATA drivers or build your own Windows XP Image using nLite (as mentioned in a previous post) to integrate the driver package into the XP Installation.

I can confirm that the drivers do work as I am installing XP for a co-worker onto his Gateway Laptop.

Now, hopefully I can find the drivers for all of the other devices.

Good Luck! :)

hey guys I had this same problem. Thanks for all the help so far! Which drivers do I need to download from that site above me? I just need the Internet drivers right now.

Thanks so much!

Edited by macdre

Thank you Sir!!! Now network adapter problem is solved.

Please let me know if you find drivers for VGA/Sound/Mass Storage/Wireless Network 802.11g

Even I will hunt for these and let you u know.

Thanks!!!!

You can get the ethernet drivers from: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/detail_des...mp;DwnldID=4275

I to am looking for drivers for the sound and vga.

- Ken