Steam out of OIL cap

CoolMaster

Just quick question, after driving hard. is it normal for steam to come out of your oil cap (i notice no coolant loss so i know it's not a head gasket leak)

but is that normal?

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, Im no mechanic, but I would have that looked at... All of your major fluids should be under pressure, at least mine are, and I would see steam as a sign that a seal of some sort has been compromised...

Im figuring he means he took his oil cap off lol. cause i dont think oil caps are meant to let pressure escape, as there should be none. Oil doesnt create pressure.

is there a light brown bubbling foam on the inside of the oil cap? take it off and check after the car has been running 10 minutes or more.

that is a 100% sure sign your head gasket is leaking... even a tiny little bit.

also oil doesn't steam or boil. it burns, and you get smoke coming out the exhaust.

besides you've bragged this "well built car" has how many miles on it without major problems? if it's 80,000 miles or more on a mid 90's or earlier build... a head gasket is inevitable unless you have a rolls royce (they don't have head gaskets)

My car actually has a guage for oil pressure... I understand that no liquid in and of itself would "create pressure", but that doesnt mean it isnt under pressure whean sealed right?

sure most cars have the gauge, but its telling you the amount of pressure the oil Pump is making, sucking the oil out the oil pan not how much pressure the oil is under in the entire block.

is there a light brown bubbling foam on the inside of the oil cap? take it off and check after the car has been running 10 minutes or more.

that is a 100% sure sign your head gasket is leaking... even a tiny little bit.

also oil doesn't steam or boil. it burns, and you get smoke coming out the exhaust.

besides you've bragged this "well built car" has how many miles on it without major problems? if it's 80,000 miles or more on a mid 90's or earlier build... a head gasket is inevitable unless you have a rolls royce (they don't have head gaskets)

Its usely a whitish color, take the cap off turn it over and look at the underside of the cap. Stem will come out the exhaust also.

Edited by road-runner

Maybe I wasnt well descriptive enough.

I took OFF the oil cap

and no there wasnt any brown bubbling foam on the underside of the cap. just solid brown.

the thing I was asking was.

there was steamish stuff coming out of the engine (where the oil cap wouldnt normally be) i was driving it pretty hard so ya know. and my coolant is fine, and I have no steam coming out my exhaust. but the steam only came out when i took off ymy oil cap. but no it wasnt cold outside but im sure its still hot in there since Oil does hold some condensation. and I know on these cars the underside of the cap will turn white or yellow if u have head gasket leak.

i was just asking if driven hard, if U took off the oil cap. is it normal for a lil bit of steam to come out (not smoke....i could smell it if my oil is burning) but just steam

and Bigred.....just curious was the "well built car" thing being sarchastic.....or what

cause I honestly havent had hardly any problems on this car. not braggi g just saying

btw it has 125k on it

there shouldn't be any "condensation" with the oil. water should never be mixed with the oil under any circumstances.

might be a good idea to get the oil changed and see if this still happens.

virus is right, the gauge only relates to how hard the pump is working. I always loved when a big block ford would suddenly drop to zero... the little shaft that turned the pump would seize, twist like a pretzel rod and snap... god that's happened to me more times than I want to think of... and it's listed as a "common" issue on early 70's to mid 90's ford V8's by ford.

cm, it's a little frindly ribbing for all the times you post about how reliable bmw's are. I have to say, my 04 durango is slated to be at 200k miles by mid year. tires, oil changes, brakes, filters and windshield wiper blades are the only problems she's had. THAT is impressive considering it tows, is constantly loaded down, is driven HARD on michigan roads (most dirt roads down south are smoother) and even more frightening is the fact of it being one of the first full size durangos off the line. I would love to see anything else try and keep that pace up. I've had the opposite end of the spectrum too. an 03 expidition... by 50k it was on engine #2 transmission #3 rear axle #2 and a laundry list of other problems. so I guess the bmw ain't doing too bad even if it does have a small crack in the head gasket.

@!^%#!#%! now you make me remind myself of all the problems I've had with Ford trucks :( and realize I have over 300 of them for business... I'm gonna go beat my head into a brick wall now