Rig posibilities

Well, it's about time for another rig to be made, and, seeing how long I've been out for, thought I would drop by for your thoughts on compatibility, overclockability, general sexiness of a rig that I have priced out.

The rig is as follows:

• Lian-Li PC-61
  • Westren Digital Raptor (74GB)
  • Foxconn GeForce 8800GTS OC
  • Antec NeoPower NeoHE 550W
  • Patriot eXtreme Performance (2x512) DDR2 800
  • ASUS Striker Extreme
  • Intel Core 2 Duo E6600

That is exactlly what I have in my cart at the moment and it will end up just shy of 1500 USD, which is the area I would like to keep it in. I plan on rolling over one of my current IDE storage drives for the time being, and also my IDE DVD burner. Mainly, I want this to get back into the overclocking scene and to also use to play HD video content, as well as play some of the newer games at higher quality.

Thanks for the help, have a good evening.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Asus Striker is a waste of money! For that kinna $$$ either get the EVGA 680i or the Gigabyte 680i board. With the money you saved there, get yourself 2 gigs of RAM and you're set!

He should get a E4300, OC it, and with the money saved he could get a 2 Gig set like you suggested...

I reccomend the G Skill HZ, but I heard they are hard to find now... ?

He should get a E4300, OC it, and with the money saved he could get a 2 Gig set like you suggested...

I reccomend the G Skill HZ, but I heard they are hard to find now... ?

yeah but is the 4300 overclockable past where the 6600 is overclockable?

yeah but is the 4300 overclockable past where the 6600 is overclockable?

Probably not. The E4300 allows for cheaper RAM to be used, but the E6600 is very VERY clockable...even with stock cooling i was able to hit 3GHz albeit not fully stress-tested. I hear many users with the Tuniq tower reporting some insane overclocks.

The Unforgivin hit 3.5GHz on his E6600 but i think that was an Si-128 cooler? Either way...it's almost 50% OC!

I Would think you would want to save some money on the proc and get 2 GBs instead of one. Im sure many newer games will benefit...

I Would think you would want to save some money on the proc and get 2 GBs instead of one. Im sure many newer games will benefit...

I think that newer games in the future AND other software will benefit more by DOUBLING the processor cache too. It is much easier to add RAM later as well, but I still maintain that the E6600 and 2GB is possible if you are willing to put yourself out there and spend a shade more.

Alright, in an attempt for the best of all 3 worlds (cpu, ram, and price), I have made the following changes (as bolded bellow)

The rig is as follows:

• Lian-Li PC-61 - Antec LifeStyle SONATA II
  • Westren Digital Raptor (74GB)
  • Foxconn GeForce 8800GTS OC
  • Antec NeoPower NeoHE 550W - Antec 450Watt SmartPower 2.0 (as comes with SONATA II)
  • Patriot eXtreme Performance (2x512) DDR2 800 - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB)
  • ASUS Striker Extreme
  • Intel Core 2 Duo E6600

Basically, the only concern I have is if the 450 watts will be enough for the system to run on. My idea is to try this and monitor the rails closely. Then, if need be, upgrade the PSU.

There could still be room for adjustment. I think someone mentioned the motherboard being a bit OTT - it is also quite expensive if I recall. The next problem is how many IDE devices do you intend to put in it? I ask as the MOBO has only 1 IDE channel. If you have 2 IDE disk drives and an Optical, you are coming unstuck. I maintain that you can STILL get as good a motherboard for overclocking and spend an awful lot less.

I also think that 450w with the 8800 will be pushing it slightly...could well be fine, but that depends on case fans, hard disks etc.

Sorry to piss on your fire, but I'm sure you want to get it perfect. The RAM and Processor are great though - that G.Skill is really coming down in price.