The Death of the General Purpose CPU

road-runner

Hey where do I have to go to get one of those toys?

Kill-A-Watt

Watts Up?

Seasonic Power Angel - I think this is the one pictured.

Is the GPU only available on certain cards?
Yes, I belive the article said that only ATI x1900 cards are eligible for the GPU client...

"x1600, x1800, and x1900 class ATI card. There is no support for any Nvidia cards." Folding Wiki

And remember it takes a dedicated CPU to handle the polling for a GPU client. So if you are going to fold on the GPU, then you can't (or shouldn't) run an instance of folding on at least one of you CPUs or cores.

Edited by Nemo

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ohh god, what happened this one week I was gone?! :wacko:

PS3 teams are kickin . of all other teams, Anandtech is not on the overtake list anymore, Msdr250 only has half the PPD he had before...

OCC, WHATS GOING ON?! :O

Ohh god, what happened this one week I was gone?! :wacko:

PS3 teams are kickin . of all other teams, Anandtech is not on the overtake list anymore, Msdr250 only has half the PPD he had before...

OCC, WHATS GOING ON?! :O

I have not let up a bit. Welcome back king. I was just looking at a Tyan dual 462 MB. I am wondering if two 2400s or 2600s would run folding SMP linux fast enough to complete the WUs as I have AMD 462 cpus or should I just wait until Intels price cut April and get another E6600 for folding.

Hey where do I have to go to get one of those toys?

c'mon Fueler... EEEEVERYone has one of these... I'm surprised you don't have one!

04sliloadvq2.jpg

that will have gone up about 20 watts or so since i added a sixth harddrive to this rig haha

I have not let up a bit. Welcome back king. I was just looking at a Tyan dual 462 MB. I am wondering if two 2400s or 2600s would run folding SMP linux fast enough to complete the WUs as I have AMD 462 cpus or should I just wait until Intels price cut April and get another E6600 for folding.

I know you haven't stopped cranking in those WUs, what could stop you from folding?! :lol:

I doubt it would work, are those A-XP's even 64-bit? Cause the linux version uses 64 bit!

see, thats what I thought. Anyways, SMP client ftw ;)

As for what was stated earlier on, would it be advisable for me to run the SMP client with only 75% of the CPU, so that the GPU gets 25%? Which would be faster?

see, thats what I thought. Anyways, SMP client ftw ;)

As for what was stated earlier on, would it be advisable for me to run the SMP client with only 75% of the CPU, so that the GPU gets 25%? Which would be faster?

I am not familiar with the GPU folding but from what I have read you have to have a cpu core available for the gpu folding. I do not see why you could not try it though?

I do not know what I was thinking on the dual AMD. I guess I was not thinking, it has to be 64 bit for Linux. I guess it could run windows smp folding but then again I still have 2-P4s running windows smp that are making the deadline until they get a 2610 then its over for them.

its been running fine for me, if you have a look at my production history by clicking the link in my sig, I have one day with 1760 points, and the next with 2090, cause thats a 1760 with a 330 (GPU). I don't know how the GPU would perform with more CPU power available though... it has like 5% right now, 11s a frame...

I am not familiar with the GPU folding but from what I have read you have to have a cpu core available for the gpu folding. I do not see why you could not try it though?

You are correct. I checked it out the other day on the FAH site. I love folding with me C2D - just one core folds way faster than my FX-55 ever did!