Sign in to follow this  
road-runner

The Death of the General Purpose CPU

Well there saying that cpu folding is about over. The PS3 and GPU clients are so much faster. Check the article

I had no idea the GPU client was so speedy. I really wish I had one of those cards now!

But yes, I can see the point. In the face of PS3 and GPU (heck, even the SMP client for those of us still on one core), the value of our cpu's is diminishing. At some point it's just not worth the electricity anymore. I have 6 P3 500s that used to fold in a diskless farm, but I haven't set them up since I moved and I doubt I will. I could pick up an X2 3600+ for $80 to out-do all of them combined with the SMP client, and probably use less power too.

Well, like some of the commenters said, the GPU and PS3 folding clients can only process certain WUs, so we NEED the general purpose CPU folders to do the rest of the science! Thats what its all about!

In other news, do you guys think I could calculate the amount of electricity I am donating to the [email protected] project and use it as a tax write off???

hmmm....interesting concept of writing it off as a charity, maybe include the price of the computer, since your are basically donating it :D

It might work...if so, Im gunna go out and buy this new comp before I do my return ;)

Well unless you can go back in time before midnight Dec 31st 2006 you must be talking about buying it before NEXT tax time...

wasnt thinking right but you think it might work?

...that you can write off a $600 gaming console that you keep as a "donation"?

Not a chance in the world. :P

IMO I think it has more to do with the software than anything (OS arch. in other words)