Your favorite Free Linux OS

aLeXv305

Im going to be installing a Linux based OS on my computer to play with it.

Whats everyones favorite and most user friendly?

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SMP stands for symmetric multi-processing. When applied to F@H, it essentially means being able to fold one WU across multiple cores/processors.

In the past, F@H was only a single-threaded application and in order to use more than one core, you had to have multiple instances of it open at one time. This naturally meant that other system resources were split between the programs, resulting in only slightly faster performance in comparison to single core folding. Now, with SMP, F@H is a multi-threaded application, which definitely speeds up the process and has a distinct advantage over single core processors.

As for my favorite "flavor" of Linux. I've tried so many: Ubuntu/Kubuntu, Mandrake/Mandriva, Knoppix, Red Hat, Fedora Core x, MEPIS, SUSE, and I'm sure I'm forgetting a couple more. To be honest, I never really liked any of them. Linux just required too much work to get up and running. My main gripe was wireless networking, I tried 4 different adapters and none of them worked on a fresh install, and installing the drivers was always too much of a hassle.

Now, I haven't tried Linux in a while, so it's very well possible that wireless networking may have improved, but I no longer see any benefit from switching to Linux. My main rig runs a solid install of Windows XP and does everything I need. I do most of my work on my Macbook, so I've got security and stability covered on that end. The only reason I would ever install Linux is to try out Beryl, but even then, installing graphics card drivers is no walk in the park.

SMP stands for symmetric multi-processing. When applied to F@H, it essentially means being able to fold one WU across multiple cores/processors.

In the past, F@H was only a single-threaded application and in order to use more than one core, you had to have multiple instances of it open at one time. This naturally meant that other system resources were split between the programs, resulting in only slightly faster performance in comparison to single core folding. Now, with SMP, F@H is a multi-threaded application, which definitely speeds up the process and has a distinct advantage over single core processors.

Thanks Kash, yea thats what it is :P

I think Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and Fedora Core are the ones that seem the most Linux-noob friendly... I'm using Slackware too now which is a bit more manual for a few things, but I see myself liking Slackware more in the end...

those are my first impressions, i only use FC2 at work, SuseLinux and PS2Linux at university, and Ubuntu64 and Slackware at home, so I can't really give you much more info

Ubuntu Guide

This site will basically tell you how to do anything in Ubuntu. Kubuntu is very similar in functionality to Ubuntu, so most of the commands are similar. Also, in Kubuntu you don't have to do everything by command line, there is some option on the program list that has similar functionality to windows.