How often do you perform backups?

sdy284

Backups  

60 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you perform regular backups (on average)

• Daily
    • Once a week
    • Every other week
    • Once a month
    • Every other month
    • Every 3 months
    • Once every 6 months
    • Once a year
    • Backups? I don't need no stinkin backups!
    • Other

This week for OCC Poll #4, we're talking backups. More specifically, how often to you perform backups? This is a pretty hot topic in the tech community, so it should be interesting to see how this poll pans out.

Like all Official OCC Polls, this one will be over this coming Sunday (April 1st)

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other:

Well, I usually keep copies of school stuff in multiple places.

When I feel the need to reinstall windows I'll backup what I feel is important beforehand, this is usually a semi-annual event.

In regards to scheduled backups: In my experience, those, like virus scans, just get in way when I want to use my computer. Please keep in mind that I use my computer at all hours.

i should probably have some sort of backup system for my music... oh and university work lol...

the rest i could bear losing...

i don't have any backups to speak of... i have too much stuff to back up really lol

Edited by hardnrg

Too much stuff to backup for it to be anywhere near practical really.

I (well, I lie, cron + automated script) backup the home server config, and anything else I consider really really really important, every day at 1am. For more important stuff (e.g Uni work when I was at Uni) there's a RAID-1 available on there for everyone to use too, but I have no practical means of backing that up either :)

I'll put daily I guess :D

Edited by markiemrboo

I have about 100 gigs of space on our office server that I use for my weekly backup. I just replace the week before at the end of every week. I also do a double back up so if the server crashes I still have a backup. This I do on an external hard drive.

I run automated backups daily with the backup server keeping multiple copies for 30 days. Important financial stuff like Quicken also gets backed up after every use.

I have about 150GB of "archive" that I try to keep backed up, but lately I only do it about once a year. In college, my archive grew like crazy between music, music videos, college humor site videos, and schoolwork, but now that I'm out of school, it grows a lot slower. The last few years I've taken a day or two in December to burn it all to DVDs. It's a lot of work, but in the grand scheme it's really not. This year I haven't done it yet because I didn't think I'd accumulated enough to warrant it, but now I'm in the middle of cleaning up my MP3 collection for MCE (album art mostly), and once I finish that I'll back up all my MP3s again.